[Resolved] Spamcop website stopped sending me reports

Trip

Hi... I've been using this service with MailWasher Pro v 7.7 for quit some time without any issues. Lately I've stop receiving reports. No changes have been made to my knowledge at my end. My account name is under Trip.

Any ideas why I've stopped receiving reports?

Regards

Trip

Have you logged into your SpamCop reporting account? It is possible that your ISP has changed something, and is now bouncing the spam reports.

If this has happened, there will be a "Bounce flag" set in you account that you can reset, after resolving the issue. Check for the flag, and check with your ISP to see what they have changed.

When updating/changing their spam filters, sometimes the filter keys on the letters "spam" in SpamCop or spam Report, etc. causing the report to be bounced without notice.

Have you logged into your SpamCop reporting account? It is possible that your ISP has changed something, and is now bouncing the spam reports.

If this has happened, there will be a "Bounce flag" set in you account that you can reset, after resolving the issue. Check for the flag, and check with your ISP to see what they have changed.

When updating/changing their spam filters, sometimes the filter keys on the letters "spam" in SpamCop or spam Report, etc. causing the report to be bounced without notice.

Just got off the phone with my ISP and they thoroughly checked everything and there is nothing they can find that would prevent me from getting reports from SC. They said they don't do anything of this nature to their customer accounts. No "Bounce" no filtering no nothing. My account has always been set to allow evertying without filtering to come into my local inbox,

When you say "SpamCop reporting account" do you mean this specific area is available to me after I log into my SpamCop account? When I log into SpamCop I don't see a "reporting account"

Where exactly do I find this "Bounce flag" your talking about?

Regards

Just got off the phone with my ISP and they thoroughly checked everything and there is nothing they can find that would prevent me from getting reports from SC. They said they don't do anything of this nature to their customer accounts. No "Bounce" no filtering no nothing. My account has always been set to allow evertying without filtering to come into my local inbox,

When you say "SpamCop reporting account" do you mean this specific area is available to me after I log into my SpamCop account? When I log into SpamCop I don't see a "reporting account"

Where exactly do I find this "Bounce flag" your talking about?

Regards

Try mailhost and redo your settings

OK.... I think I'm just getting deeper in trouble now. I stepped through the "mailhost" process for the one email account

Anyway when using my main (single) account I tried pasting the contents of the test email into the webform and that didn't work indicating and error that I didn't send the header information only to find out in the FAQ that Microsoft Outlook (I use Outlook 2010) does not work and does not provide an option to send complete header info. Screwed again I guess! So I tried the next option of creating a new email and sending the entire contents of the test message using the given sendto address provided in the test message and off it went. I'm not confident I satisfied all the requirements. What do you think?

To be clear I meant when you login to http://spamcop.net
not
this forum http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/topic/

It has been a while, but as I remember the Bounce flag/warning should be on the first screen when you login and red

If there is no flag, have you checked your preferences as petzl suggested? sometimes things change. Also under preferences check your email address.

To be clear I meant when you login to http://spamcop.net

not

this forum http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/topic/

It has been a while, but as I remember the Bounce flag/warning should be on the first screen when you login and red

If there is no flag, have you checked your preferences as petzl suggested? sometimes things change. Also under preferences check your email address.

Thanks to all for trying to help here.

OK... no Bounce flag found while logged into spamcop.net and nothing in red shown anywhere. Yes I inquire about a bounce flag from my ISP also.

Yes, I did follow petzi mailhost process and I replied to him above. Their were some issues and I have not yet heard back from him.

Can you or anyone say that I have done this setup properly and that you now have all the info you need to have reporting work for me again? I believe I have fulfilled all the requirements but there is nothing indicating that the info was successfully submitted or completed.

So are we done or do I need to do something else? At the moment I don't have spam in my inbox to report so I can't test it.

Sometimes someone form SpamCop does stop by here. However, everyone here is (just) a user of the SC tools and do not have direct access to your (or anyone's) data.

We as experienced users may be able to have insight that will help you resolve your problem.

Another thing you can check is to make sure your privet submit email address you are using is identical to the one displayed when you login.

Thanks Lking and others for the help and support. Your experience, time and suggestions are indeed appreciated. My login and my private were different and that has been made all the same now. I'm waiting for the next piece of spam to come in and I'll report. Hopefully it will work but if it doesn't what should I do next? There does not seem to be contact information for the SpamCop folks who run this site. The website only suggest asking questions in the forum and putting the burden on the good, generous people helping out here in these forums. Somehow to me this does not seem fair since I've donated to this cause from my PayPal account.

OK.... I think I'm just getting deeper in trouble now. I stepped through the "mailhost" process for the one email account

Anyway when using my main (single) account I tried pasting the contents of the test email into the webform and that didn't work indicating and error that I didn't send the header information only to find out in the FAQ that Microsoft Outlook (I use Outlook 2010) does not work and does not provide an option to send complete header info. Screwed again I guess! So I tried the next option of creating a new email and sending the entire contents of the test message using the given sendto address provided in the test message and off it went. I'm not confident I satisfied all the requirements. What do you think?

Outlook 2010 does not send headers you have to get headers and text body in two steps

Then combine them (in plan text) pasted in email to send a report.

Mailwasher will do this all for you but you have to make sure your mailhost is still correct.

Sometimes ISP's change their servers which stops SpamCop from identifying innocent IP's and falls over (won't complete)

You need to resend confirmation your email Addy (ONLY) type it in. Then send.

Mine's not red, but looks like this:

Bounce error

Your email address, x[at]spamcop.net has returned a bounce:

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Reason: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-"SC-001 (BAY004-MC4F22) Unfortunately, me=

Please ensure your email account is reliable, then click below:

To whom it may concern, there may be an issue with using an [at]outlook.com address to receive mail forwarded through spamcop.net, as this has been happening periodically. Today, a test message sent from my hotmail account didn't come through either, so I changed my forwarding address before resetting the bounce flag.

I agree that outlook.com addresses can be a problem. I sometimes report spam from two outlook.com email addresses, and they don't always make it to Spamcop's list of emails I've recently reported.

Still no luck for me. No reports coming back. I successfully submitted all required info to spamcop including headers and I didn't get any error or warning messages so I assume they have all the info for my account they needed. I use one email address and everything coming through my ISP works fine. The reports I send to spamcop are generated from MailWasher Pro and has been working fine for years until now but MS Outlook mail client is not in the loop through this process. I don't use Outlook.com email. I don't get bounce errors either. To the best of my knowledge my mailhost is correct and updated so I know SpamCop is receiving my reports but sadly they send nothing back to me.

Where are the Dev's from SpamCop? They have my money but their not here to help me.!! I'm trying to fight spam but now this has become a major headache for me and I hate seeing these spammers get away with this sh**!

Starting in the beginning, Have you checked to be sure that mailwasher is sending the spam to the right place?

1. check the settings in mailwash

2. login to your reporting account on SpamCop,

2a. Click on the <Preferences> tab then <Change email address or name> The email address is the one where the "[spamCop] has accepted 1 email for processing" return emails are sent, including the link back to SpamCop for you to modify/approve/send reports.

2b. click on the <Past Reports> tab then on <View Recent Reports> No matter how submitted, from the web page, emailed to Submit[at]... or emailed quick[at]... your submissions will be listed here. When processed each submission will be followed by a bullet list of report numbers, IP addresses and email addresses where the report was sent. If the submitted spam has not been processed the list will include the note "No reports filed".

If a spam submitted by mailwash is not listed in 2b go back and check #1 & 2 again. Maybe you should try submitting a spam manually to submit[at]... and see if it appears in 2b.

If submissions appear in 2b. an email was returned to you to the address in 2a; unless your bounce flag is set (See #11 above by anyone8).

Assuming 2a is correct, as noted before your ISP could be just dropping SpamCop's emails on the floor without any notice. NOTE: the subject done contain the letters 'spam' as does the body along with several links, all which may trigger a poorly configured spam filter.

The above should help identify if the spam is being submitted or not, and if it is what is happening to your return report.

Starting in the beginning, Have you checked to be sure that mailwasher is sending the spam to the right place?

1. check the settings in mailwash

2. login to your reporting account on SpamCop,

2a. Click on the <Preferences> tab then <Change email address or name> The email address is the one where the "[spamCop] has accepted 1 email for processing" return emails are sent, including the link back to SpamCop for you to modify/approve/send reports.

2b. click on the <Past Reports> tab then on <View Recent Reports> No matter how submitted, from the web page, emailed to Submit[at]... or emailed quick[at]... your submissions will be listed here. When processed each submission will be followed by a bullet list of report numbers, IP addresses and email addresses where the report was sent. If the submitted spam has not been processed the list will include the note "No reports filed".

If a spam submitted by mailwash is not listed in 2b go back and check #1 & 2 again. Maybe you should try submitting a spam manually to submit[at]... and see if it appears in 2b.

If submissions appear in 2b. an email was returned to you to the address in 2a; unless your bounce flag is set (See #11 above by anyone8).

Assuming 2a is correct, as noted before your ISP could be just dropping SpamCop's emails on the floor without any notice. NOTE: the subject done contain the letters 'spam' as does the body along with several links, all which may trigger a poorly configured spam filter.

The above should help identify if the spam is being submitted or not, and if it is what is happening to your return report.

Thanks for the detailed response. I followed your steps closely and here is what the results were...

A. I check setting is mailwasher. OK, I found two configurations for SpamCop and deleted one of them with a blank email account. If I recall correctly the two were always there from the beginning when this all worked fine. The setting are correct in the remaining one.

B. My email is correct regarding Item 2. in your suggested steps.

C. Regarding 2a and 2b past reports.. Under 30 days I get "No reports found" however choosing "Last 90 days" several reports are there. Yea, it's been that long since this hasn't been working. I've upgraded Mailwasher at least once or twice over that time frame so mayby an update added the second SpamCop empty configuration.

D. My ISP and I had a long talk and I'm pretty sure they are not the problem. When I initially join this ISP they had spam filters set thus I was getting some false positives. I quickly got back to them and we completely remove any filtering on my account. I wanted everything to come in to me so this is when I purchased SpamCop which solved the problem and gave me full control. I like it when I'm the boss of my PC and I'm in full control. :o)

I'm on hold until some spam comes in to try this out again. Hopefully this will work. In any event I'll be back to report and update my situation for the thread. If the problem persists I'll submit the spam manually by logging into my account and submit the complete email with header information from MailWasher.

Thanks again for the excellent response. I appreciate the help.

Regards

Sounds like you have identified the reason you are not getting any reports back from SpamCop: No submissions for 90 days, no return emails for 90 days. Updates to MailWasher sounds like a likely cause (maybe just hiding the original cause).

Let us know the results when you get a new spam.

FINALLY!!!!

i'm receiving reports again thanks to all the help here. Lking turned on a light for me to help isolate where the problem had to be. I was convinced that my ISP was not dropping my mail. I was sure my SpamCop account was setup correctly and that Mailwasher Pro configuration was also correct.

The tip here that really got me thinking was "Maybe you should try submitting a spam manually to submit[at]". After changing my settings everywhere multiple time with no luck I had no idea what to do next UNTIL I copied the spam with header information from Mailwasher and pasted it into my SpamCop account. Doing this I received a report from SpamCop immediately! This action confirmed that I was not sending spam to SpamCop and this was Mailwasher's responsibility to do that. So I focused ounce again on Wailwasher settings. Even though I set my outgoing account information multiple times in Mailwasher and I still didn't get results. This is puzzling since I'm pretty sure I entered this information correctly. My incoming Mailwasher setting were always working fine. Then I discovered an option I could tick to use the same login information (login Name and Password) as my incoming mail settings and use them for my outgoing mail configuration settings as well so I tried that.. I didn't know immediately if that was going to work since I had to wait for my next piece of spam to come in and when it did IT WORKED! I'm getting reports again as usual.

Many thanks to SpamCop and everyone here who pitched in to help me. I'm a happy spam reporter again and I'm once again doing my small part to help fight spam. I feel good about that! :rolleyes:

Archived