Is it just me?

Hi,

I found that Spamcop is more and more sluggish at treating held mail once I have chosen what I want to do with them. It takes several seconds before they get thown to the trash.

Furthermore, if I select Release and White list, often the selected mails remain in the Held category so long that I end up not knowing what happened to them. I need to go back to the inbox to check and come back to Held mail where they sometimes still show up!

I have noticed this sluggishness over the last weeks. And this has nothing to do with my connection, believe me!

Am I alone to notice this?

Best regards

... Am I alone to notice this?
There have been server issues, as noted elsewhere in the SpamCop Email System & Accounts forum (where I am moving this) but those are supposedly fixed now. You are still seeing degraded performance? Hopefully other mail users can add their observations, as you requested.

I found that Spamcop is more and more sluggish at treating held mail once I have chosen what I want to do with them. It takes several seconds before they get thown to the trash.

You make no mention of checking the SpamCop FAQ here. You don't say anything about checking other folders, the amount of e-mail involved, etc. Does the following help at all?

WebMail Login problems & General Slowness, First things to check

I have been using cesmail for quite a number of years, so it did not occur to me I had to mention reading the FAQ. Ok, I did.

First, my problem has nothing to do with login.

Second, I empty my directories almost dayly, including the trash. I do not keep mail wherever on the server, I always download it.

Third, I check my held mail sevaral times a day. At most, I have a two hundred spams in that folder. The sluggishness I mention does not seem to have any relationship with the number of spam in the held directory.

Now that this is cleared up, I never had any problem with the previous interface (not that I am sure it is interface related, just a fact).

I have had several occasions where, when I select a spam and choose to release it, nothing happens as far as I can see. Then, if I select the whole page, and choose report, the mail I had selected to be released may end up reported, since I find it in the trash. To make sure a mail I chose to release is indeed released, I need to go to the Inbox, where it may be or may not be. Then return to held mail and see if it has disappeared or not.

The way I see it, directories sometimes do not get updated on my screen, which can cause me to make twice the same action, with unpredictable results, or to mistakenly report a file I did not intend to report.

I have not tried reloading the page on my screen to see what happens, will do soon.

Just in case this could be relevant, I use Seamonkey 1.1.13.

I will try to see if I can duplicate this in Firefox 2.0

Best regards

I check my held mail sevaral times a day. At most, I have a two hundred spams in that folder.

I've not seen the behavior you're reporting here, but that rapid buildup of spam in your Held folder makes me a little curious. I'll venture a guess that you've got your own domain(s) and are probably using a "catch-all" function to accept any mail sent to the domain(s), correct?

DT

I am not sure what you mean by a catch-all function. I do have my own domain, but with one and only one address being forwarded to cesmail. I guess that overtime, any active address attracts more and more spam. Noticed a large increase those last two or three days and I am hard pressed to explain it!

Regards

A "catch-all" does just what it says....it is configured to accept ("catch") and forward all incoming email sent to a given domain, regardless of how the messages are addressed. So, if you had a "catch-all" function active on your domain, someone could send to "heywhatsyourname[at]yourdomain.com" and it would still get forwarded to you, even though you didn't have either a mailbox or explicit forward configured for that address. People who post here that they're receiving hundreds of spam messages a day are often those with a "catch-all" on their domain, and the obvious solution is *not* to have one. If you did, I was simply going to advise that you get rid of that, as most of us have done over the years.

DT

Thanks, I was not sure what you meant, but what guessing exactly what you told me. No, I do not have such a thing, which would be most unwise. I have my address on my domain to check for reverse dns, to see if this will slow the amount of spam I get. Will have to wait a few days to see if it helps.

But I realize, this is just alleviates the problem. The day spammers will not be able to run stupid sites trying to cheat you out of your money, spam will wither ... Will never happen!

I guess that when, as I do, you give your email address to all financial sites I deal with, and to lots of suppliers, this is bound to happen. But I am not ready to give up the convenience that comes with being able to do transactions over the Internet ...

I will keep you posted about this problem I mentionned, should it evolve one way or the other.

Regards

Archived