[Resolved] Email reporting failed - No Source IP

sfatula

So, I got my reporting running. The first email forwarded to you worked fine, I completed it on the web site as directed by the email back to me. The next 4 all said "No source IP address found, cannot proceed".

I took the sent email, opened the attachment, and copied and pasted into the form online, and created a new report just fine.

So, I am unclear as to what went wrong.

Here is one of the links:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2555928824z3...fd4d420bea2285z

Any idea as to what went wrong? I need to fix whatever it might be, but, don't see anything wrong myself.

So, when not logged in, it shows me the headers. I see a key line removed, but it was in the attached email sent to Spamcop. Bug of some sort?

Clicking on the tracking URL in the email from spamcop shows:

Received: (qmail 81531 invoked from network); 24 Jan 2009 10:55:13 -0000

by mail.smallbusinessconsultingexperts.com with ESMTP; 24 Jan 2009 10:55:13 -0000

Message-ID: <7040__________________1802[at]sectand.com>

Date: 24 Jan 2009 05:54:48 -0500

From: Please review and confirm. <lbonner[at]sectand.com>

Subject: McDonald's restaurant voucher

However, the attachment shows:

Received: (qmail 81531 invoked from network); 24 Jan 2009 10:55:13 -0000

Received: from cqlp.sectand.com (67.227.13.147)

by mail.smallbusinessconsultingexperts.com with ESMTP; 24 Jan 2009 10:55:13 -0000

Message-ID: <7040__________________1802[at]sectand.com>

Date: 24 Jan 2009 05:54:48 -0500

From: Please review and confirm. <lbonner[at]sectand.com>

Subject: McDonald's restaurant voucher

Any idea as to what went wrong? I need to fix whatever it might be, but, don't see anything wrong myself.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2555928824z3...;action=display shows what the parser received as your input.

What's missing from your query are all those little insignificant things referenced in all the How to ask a Good question links .... tools you're using, your actual steps to move the data around, etc. All "we" can see from your provided data is that the only Received: line in the e-mail header is missing data, specifically an IP Address. It's impossible to 'guess' from this side of the screen as to what went wrong and where, especially with no background data provided.

What seems to be suggested is a Tracking URL of both your e-mail submitted spam e-mail and the Tracking URL of your web-form pasted submittal ... looking for the differences you suggest have occurred ...

I took the sent email, opened the attachment, and copied and pasted into the form online, and created a new report just fine.

I find this very confusing, as it seems to come after words that seem to describe that the e-mail in question was a Reply from the SpamCop.net Parsing & Reporting system ...???? Whereas the issue would have been with the "original" submittal.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2555928824z3...;action=display shows what the parser received as your input.

What's missing from your query are all those little insignificant things referenced in all the How to ask a Good question links .... tools you're using, your actual steps to move the data around, etc. All "we" can see from your provided data is that the only Received: line in the e-mail header is missing data, specifically an IP Address. It's impossible to 'guess' from this side of the screen as to what went wrong and where, especially with no background data provided.

What seems to be suggested is a Tracking URL of both your e-mail submitted spam e-mail and the Tracking URL of your web-form pasted submittal ... looking for the differences you suggest have occurred ...

It would seem the best thing to do might be to forward the email that was sent to someone, maybe it would be of use. Would need an email address though. It is not showing what was sent, as, for example it munged some of the data, replacing my email address, etc. So, it did alter it.

Mail client is Apple Mail. Simply clicked on a message, and, forward as attachment from the menu.

I already compared the 2, the key missing item is the received from line. That is precisely what is in the email that was sent. To know this, I simply go to my sent items folder, locate the email, open the attachment, and there it is. It includes that line. WHat else can I tell you that would help?

So, I suspect something else. If you have a specific need for data, let me know.

Egg on face... My bad.

Email is stripping out the received from line for reasons I can't go into. So, they are not getting to you.

So, it's clearly on our end. Which is what you said. Which, obviously, I believed you since I kept looking. Just frustrating!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar (?) problem with the last 2 submissions I've made (I believe they're from 2 different sources).

Both were made manually. I'm certain I've done nothing wrong...

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2587181818zb...6553d0e4857342z

Error given: 'No source IP address found, cannot proceed.'

Does anyone have a possible explanation?

[Edited to correct the URL given - washmail]

I'm having a similar (?) problem with the last 2 submissions I've made (I believe they're from 2 different sources).

Both were made manually. I'm certain I've done nothing wrong...

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2587181818zb...6553d0e4857342z

Error given: 'No source IP address found, cannot proceed.'

Does anyone have a possible explanation?

You only offered up one example, vs the two talked sggested.

In the example you've offered, setting your Preferences to show "Full/Technical Details" you would also have seen;

Parsing header:

0: Received: from ctb-mesg-1-3.saix.net ([196.25.240.81]) by dedi225.nur4.host-h.net with esmtp (Exim 4.66) (envelope-from <info[at]movers.co.za>) id 1LUybJ-00018o-Sy for x; Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:24:42 +0100

Hostname verified: ctb-mesg-1-3.saix.net

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust anything beyond this header

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Add/edit your mailhost configuration

That the error occurred on "Line 0" basically states that the MailHost Configuration of your Reportng Account needs repair/updating .... which you'll notice is the first option provided as 'helpful links" directly under the 'error' message.

So technically, not the same issue as the Topic starter ....

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2587198241z0...26d1cc711839d4z is the Tracking URL for an edited copy (body removed) of this spam through a non-MailHost Configured Reporting Account.

Thanks Wazoo, that makes complete sense - my MailHosts could do with a tweak.

Sorry, I didn't have time to search for the other, no doubt parallel example.

Nor did I think of looking at the tech details for clues - definitely rusty due to lack of spam these days ;-)

[Added for anyone interested;

This was a MailHosts problem caused by my service provider switching me to an alternative Unix server option which thereby changed some related addresses.

The spam concerned was then succesfully reported - see http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2587756130za...f471973bdaa411z ]

pseudo-sub-topic ended.

Archived