spam statistics - source of mail report

sfatula

In my Spamcop account, I can click on Statistics -> Source of mail and get a report of stuff that implies was sent in the last 30 minutes. That report never seems to include spam I have reported.

So, my question is this. If I report spam, complete the process, and, wait 5 minute, shouldn't my spam report be included in that report? What am I not understanding?

The spam reports certainly show up in "Past Reports" as status submitted.

...So, my question is this. If I report spam, complete the process, and, wait 5 minute, shouldn't my spam report be included in that report? What am I not understanding?...
I think it used to happen that way - certainly a reporter could immediately see the effect of adding a new report on the time left to serve of an IP address on the blocklist by comparing lookups before and after submission. But spammers with an enquiring turn of mind could do exactly the same. All supposition but I think there was a risk of people working out spamtrap addresses and such-like devilry hence the public real-time stats were discontinued and some sort of delay built in to make all of that 'gaming of the system' harder or impossible. I don't think the specifics on all of that will ever be public.

In my Spamcop account, I can click on Statistics -> Source of mail and get a report of stuff that implies was sent in the last 30 minutes. That report never seems to include spam I have reported.

So, my question is this. If I report spam, complete the process, and, wait 5 minute, shouldn't my spam report be included in that report? What am I not understanding?

The spam reports certainly show up in "Past Reports" as status submitted.

I don't know what that is showing actually... I hit refresh on the page for about 10 minutes just now and I saw periods of up to 3 minutes where the same report was at the top of the screen with the elapsed time incrementing each time. Also, the oldest was ~5-10 minutes during this test.

That certainly does not jive with the 34.8 messages sent/second found on the graph at the top of the page.

It might be a sampling of the messages sent, or perhaps just the address most reports are going to.

Technically, you're asking a question that concerns network configuration, software tools and configuration, database analysis, some strategies developed over the years in response to apparent spammer actions/reactions to having access to more "immediate" data, on and on .... stuff that is not going to be defined/exposed.

One easy thing to point out is the difference between that specific data dump as compared to the graphic data link found at the top of this page. For example, compare the "per second" measurement beats of the graphic link to the "age" data of your questioned page .... it's easily seen/guessed that not all data is shown.

Easiest (and actually known) "guess" is that this data dump is not real-time. Other guesses would include that these statistics are generated by a process that works way in the background, basically whenever one of the servers has 'free' time to devote to performing that action. Yet another is that these stats are just a random sampling or the actual data, perhaps because it's only looking at one server out of the dozens doing the Parsing & Reporting .... There could be dozens of other reason, but .... as above, specifics are not up for public discussion for a number of reasons.

Later Edit: Wow! In the time it took me to restart a Synergy server on one system, got the connection made to another system (slowed down while in an AVG scan) got connected to spamcop.net, made it to the page in question, made my response here, two other Moderators has beat me to the punch. Yet, again, thanks folks for all the help and support offered here.

Easiest (and actually known) "guess" is that this data dump is not real-time. Other guesses would include that these statistics are generated by a process that works way in the background, basically whenever one of the servers has 'free' time to devote to performing that action. Yet another is that these stats are just a random sampling or the actual data, perhaps because it's only looking at one server out of the dozens doing the Parsing & Reporting .... There could be dozens of other reason, but .... as above, specifics are not up for public discussion for a number of reasons.

The main reason I asked was I presumed my spam reports were not being properly executed by me, so, I had done something wrong in other words. Sounds like my interpretation was wrong.

...Sounds like my interpretation was wrong.
Almost certainly - you can rely on the "Past Reports" to show what you have successfully submitted. Sometimes there is a slight delay in that updating (still shows "Reports not submitted") but in most instances it will be up to date by the time you check. If not, don't panic, as long as your member page doesn't show outstanding reports ("Unreported spam Saved:" with a "Report Now" link) just check back on "Past Reports" a little later to see the confirmation. Your confidence will come quickly with familiarity.

Archived