Greylisting loosing effectiveness?

It seems like the amount of spam I receive has been increasing since I started using the greylisting option. I've been especially aware of spam getting through in the last month or so.

Are spammer's adding resend code to get around greylisting? Or is there some way I can reset my greylist so that it is again more effective?

Thanks!

...Are spammer's adding resend code to get around greylisting? Or is there some way I can reset my greylist so that it is again more effective?...
Hi Guy,

Hopefully some users of the mail system (or SC Admin) can comment on this. Just noting the question was raised recently by someone in the newsgroups without resolution - http://zeta.cesmail.net/pipermail/scspamco...ary/007855.html - so it's good to get a "me too" so some more attention can be given. You will, I am sure, have already looked through the greylisting discussion under "Important Topics" at the head of this section - http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8650

It seems like the amount of spam I receive has been increasing since I started using the greylisting option. I've been especially aware of spam getting through in the last month or so.

Are spammer's adding resend code to get around greylisting? Or is there some way I can reset my greylist so that it is again more effective?

As I mentioned in the newsgroup thread... I am not seeing any increase. I have had 0 spam through my spamcop address for months now. The only spam I am seeing is coming through my ISP account.

Look at the headers of the spam making it through and be sure you do not see an X-Whitelisted: entry (or something like that).

I've been using greylisting for sometime and have no more spam getting through now than when I first turned greylisting on - just one or two messages a week.

I've long wondered what would happen if one spam item nominally from your own Email address somehow got through the greylist then all the spew that purports to be from yourself might also manage to piggyback on the path through the greylist...

Andrew

I've long wondered what would happen if one spam item nominally from your own Email address somehow got through the greylist then all the spew that purports to be from yourself might also manage to piggyback on the path through the greylist...

I understand that the greylisting implemention uses 'triplets', one item being the server IP address.

Thus only emails from the same source would get through.

(See the greylisting whitepaper at the URL given in the thread).

A recent check of my Trash folder shows only 1% direct to my spamcop address, down from about 40% back in Autumn 2007 when greylisting was introduced. I could thus probably unselect greylisting with no harm.

The main problem is that greylisting has no "trusted server" feature, so a lot of work and delays can happen on forwarded mail from a real ISP for no possible benefit. I currently still use POP for one mail box for this reason.

Archived