Can't receive email from certain vendors?

I've had spamcop.net email account for years.

I've noticed that some email never arrives (not even in the "held mail" queue) if it's from certain places.

Lately I've discovered that quite a few places won't send any email to anyone if the word "spam" is in the email address.

Example:

I cannot receive email from OnStar (GM's vehicle monitoring service) to spamcop. I ended up having to have the email sent to another address. It wasn't because OnStar's system wouldn't let them put the address in.

Same thing for ebates. While their system doesn't state that spamcop.net is "invalid", I never get any emails from them. They don't show up in the heldmail either. The minute I switch to a diff. email account I get my weekly emails.

However, other systems:

Home Depot (you cannot subscribe to any of their email lists because it won't allow "spam" in the email address).

FedEx (same thing, not a valid address)

So I guess for the latter scenario, there's nothing I can do, other than get an email account elsewhere. But for the first scenario, I'm wondering if there's some sort of filter that spamcop may have that doesn't put the mail in the held queue (like Ironport's Senderbase where you can configure and it'll just drop the email connection all together so there's no actual email to even queue?)

Anyone else have any ideas?

I've noticed that some email never arrives (not even in the "held mail" queue) if it's from certain places.

Lately I've discovered that quite a few places won't send any email to anyone if the word "spam" is in the email address.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Scenario is partially defined within the SpamCop FAQ as found here, links at the top of the page ... jump/scroll down to the section;

E-mail Submittal Problems / Issues

E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP? Updated!

Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?

This would talk to the "outgoing e-mail disappearing" issue.

So I guess for the latter scenario, there's nothing I can do, other than get an email account elsewhere.

Just noting that at signup time, JT offers alternate Domains .... most folks using the SpamCop.net Domain for many reasons, but others opting for his CESmail.net Domain for reasons like the above. Not sure about his thrill at entertaining a change of your Domain assignment (many disk and management issues involved) but, one could ask.

But for the first scenario, I'm wondering if there's some sort of filter that spamcop may have that doesn't put the mail in the held queue (like Ironport's Senderbase where you can configure and it'll just drop the email connection all together so there's no actual email to even queue?)

In general, no. The suggested scenario you lay out would seem to definitely be the ISP dropping your e-mail before it ever left their system.

I've had spamcop.net email account for years.

I've noticed that some email never arrives (not even in the "held mail" queue) if it's from certain places

It's not been asked so let me do so...

Do you have grey-listing enabled? If so, it might be worthwhile disabling grey-listing for awhile to see if messages arrive that previously did not do so.

Another option you could try is adding known good Email addresses to your personal whitelist to see if that makes a difference.

I'm not saying either will be a solution but worth trying.

Andrew

Archived