[Resolved] POP3 email collection broken

The POP3 email collection process seems to have broken - no email collected from my ISP (Demon Internet in the UK) for the last two hours or so. No errors reported on the "Configure POP3 Servers" page on Webmail, and no problem collecting the mail directly from my ISP myself. I've reported it using the "Problem" button on webmail, but could one of the mods let JT know when convenient, please?

Thanks!

Chris

I have received messages from both my Yahoo (popgate2) and Google (pop) accounts since your original post. Both are low volume accounts, however.

Still no collection for me. A friend of mine (same ISP as me) is having the same problem - no mail since the early hours of the morning. No errors reported on Webmail; can collect mail from the ISP directly without difficulty. I'm pretty sure this is a problem at the Spamcop end.

I know it's still very early in the morning in the US, and I don't want to hassle anyone, but is there anything more I can do to get the issue resolved other than to use the "Problem" report on Webmail (which I've done)? I've tried removing and re-adding the POP3 server entry in Webmail, but without result. There are no errors - it really does look as if Spamcop has simply not been attempting to collect the mail from my ISP for some 6h now.

I know it's still very early in the morning in the US, and I don't want to hassle anyone, but is there anything more I can do to get the issue resolved other than to use the "Problem" report on Webmail (which I've done)? I've tried removing and re-adding the POP3 server entry in Webmail, but without result. There are no errors - it really does look as if Spamcop has simply not been attempting to collect the mail from my ISP for some 6h now.
I don't know anything about spamcop email. But I noticed that Steven Underwood got his email via popgate2 and pop while you are not getting it with POP3.

I don't know if you can change to one of the other kinds of pop. Also, I think it is possible to use something called IMAP. Unfortunately, I don't know how you could do any of those things. If you can figure it out, that might be a workaround until some other people wake up!

Miss Betsy

I don't know if you can change to one of the other kinds of pop. Also, I think it is possible to use something called IMAP.

Thank you for the kind suggestions, Miss Betsy, but unfortunately my ISP is rather "behind the times" and doesn't support mail forwarding, IMAP, or anything else than simply POP3 mail collection. I guess I'll just have to wait for the support folks in the US to get up! At least I know it's not just me, since, as I said in an earlier message, one of my friends is having exactly the same problem.

Appreciate the suggestion.

Chris

1. I thought you started this thread about a week ago, so some of my information is not correct. The "since your original post" should be read as "in the last week"

2. I have received 2 messages, one test message just a minute ago, from my gmail account, but just realized while I do have spamcop configured to POP that account, the gmail account is configured for forwarding so that is how those messages came through. I have now fixed it so there is no POP configuration for gmail.

3. I have also just sent a test message through my yahoo account and will report if/when it gets picked up. P.S. It got delivered while I was finishing this message... see point 4.

4. There is now an announcement on the webmail login page stating: Mar 25, 2009 [09:42 EDT] We had a problem overnight with POPping some external accounts. This has been fixed and all accounts should be POPping normally soon.

5. Miss Betsy: POP and POP3, in the way I used them, are identical and is a network protocol like SMTP but for the client to collect mail from the server rather than server-server communication. Popgate2 (and/or popgate) are 2 services configured to collect email from mail services (like Yahoo) that do not provide a standard POP server. Basically, it is a program that emulates what you would do with a web interface to download your email. They only work for the specific services they are configured for and break anytime the web page changes in any significant way.

My email is not getting pop'ed off my email account on Xnet. Everything was working fine until I noticed messages on my xnet account. It seems like they've been out there for several hours and my pop server list under spamcop's webmail options is not reporting any errors..........uh, wait a second.....

Well, email just refreshed and it pulled everything off. So, I guess it's working now.

Never mind. ;-)

BTW. I haven't been able to get popgate to work for me. My yahoo mail never seems to make it to spamcop. Any ideas on if you need the old yahoo mail or the new yahoo mail or anything like that?

...BTW. I haven't been able to get popgate to work for me. My yahoo mail never seems to make it to spamcop. Any ideas on if you need the old yahoo mail or the new yahoo mail or anything like that?
I believe the last discussion I saw on that was http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9447 (not using popgate). Maybe someone can update?

[edit - ah no, there are later discussions at the end of http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8645 ]

BTW. I haven't been able to get popgate to work for me. My yahoo mail never seems to make it to spamcop. Any ideas on if you need the old yahoo mail or the new yahoo mail or anything like that?

My current setup which worked today was new Yahoo and popgate2.

There definitely appears to be some kind of underlying issue with POP3 mail collection - it's broken about 4 or 5 times this month, although sometimes not for long enough to be worth reporting.

While it is possible there have been issues, it is also possible the short delays you are seeing is the way the process works.

You do realize that there could be delays up to a couple of hours between runs with the POP process? Basically, the system goes to the first configured account and downloads all the messages, then goes to the next configured account. If a large number of accounts have a large amount of data to download it could take a while. Also, if a large ISP is having issues with slow connection and lots of their customers are using the POP pickup, that will affect how often your mail is picked up.

I believe I recall Trevor telling us it was averaging 15-30 minutes per cycle several months ago. I'm looking for the reference now.

While it is possible there have been issues, it is also possible the short delays you are seeing is the way the process works.

Hi Steven,

Oh yes; I've been a (happy) Spamcop customer for about 5 years now, so I'm extremely familiar with the "ins and outs" of the system. I generally get a POP3 collection around about every 15-20 minutes. I've NEVER known it be longer than about 45 minutes except when it's "broken" as it did yesterday.

Please let me stress that I'm not complaining about it; SC offer a wonderful service. It just seems that there's more than likely an underlying issue when something which has worked smoothly for years suddenly starts falling over every week or so, as it seems to have been doing for the last couple of months.

Best wishes,

Chris

Archived