Outlook 'Foward as Attachment' no longer authorized !!

Wazoo

Updated! SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service : How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email? : Microsoft products : Microsoft Outlook (all versions) - Original/Official FAQ

[scspamcop] ******* Outlook users please read ******** Ellen - newsgroup Archive

Outlook received header problem, -need to cease E-mail spam forwarding - Pinned post in the Reporting Help Forum section

Copy of Pinned post as generated by farelf;

From http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10241 (O/P brantgurga) Added emphasis.

Based on the above data, results, and additional explanations, this does not appear to be a MailHost Configuration issue. Moving this to the Reporting Help Forum section .... awaiting a reply from some of those folks using the same e-mail client and/for e-mail submittals ....

As a result of a fairly lengthy and intense investigation of Outlook 2003 and 2007: Outlook does *not* include full and accurate headers when you forward spams as attachments. It reorders the Received headers, which makes them untrustworthy, as well as deleting/not forwarding other headers including X-headers, which is of less importance but which may loose some valuable information needed by ISPs/hosting companies.

The result of the 'scrambled" or reordered Received headers means that SpamCop does not reliably know where the injection point of the spam is.

Outlook is reordering the headers, not SpamCop.

Thusly, if you are running Outlook you *may not* forward your spams as an attachment for processing. You can copy/paste or look into running mailwasher or some other 3rd party add-in/add-on but you must stop forwarding as an attachment.

I want to thank the SC users who cheerfully gave of their time ito help in tracking this down.

Ellen

SpamCop

wazoo/mods -- if you would propagate this info to the wiki or other areas as necessary it would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

PM received by one of the Moderators here .... edited a bit for content;

Subject: Outlook attached email parsing problem ( SpamCop Discussion )

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:43:16 -0400

Hi. I just happened to trip over the announcement, because I don't come to the forums that often.

This strikes me as something that should be posted on the SpamCop reporting page as a news item, and probably on the webmail login page, too. A lot of us would not find out for a long time, if ever, if the only notice is in the discussion forums.

As the Moderator agreed and forwarded this and his comments upstream, to include myself, thought I'd also post a Reply here.

There is a reason for the Announcements Forum section. For those same reasons, it's one of the few items I've generated an RSS feed fot another way to see these notifications. This Forum does use some database bit to set/change the "Read/Unread" icons for Forum sections and Topics. Admitting that the last few Announcement posts haven't made it into the link offered by the big red letters item at the top of the page, I believe that this also is yet another sign that even that page addition hasn't done anything to solve the 'won't read things' scenario.

And of course, that I'd added all the other reference links and venues in the original post for the actual 'official' Announcement has been somewhat subverted by the recent editing of the www.spamcop.net Help page which removed any hint of the newsgroups and Forum, it's hard for me to come up with yet another 'solution' for major Announcements and/or Notifications of things like this.

Just my opinion, but the "I don't visit that often" strikes me as making a visit to the Announcements section all that more important when one of those rare visits is made. I'll admit that this is the wrong spot for this bit of rant, but am using it to move this Topic back up to the top of the list of Pinned entries and as the "new news" entry at the top of the main Forum page .. which also then replaces the current "news of the day" which is the phishing spam about SpamCop.net e-mail accounts.

Subject: Outlook attached email parsing problem ( SpamCop Discussion )

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:43:16 -0400

Hi. I just happened to trip over the announcement, because I don't come to the forums that often.

This strikes me as something that should be posted on the SpamCop reporting page as a news item, and probably on the webmail login page, too. A lot of us would not find out for a long time, if ever, if the only notice is in the discussion forums.

Deputy Richard responded
That's not a bad idea, but we decided against it when this first came up. One of the problems is email submission users seldom come to the front page (they use the link in the reply). The return page after sending reports doesn't include the news section.
Richard goes on to say work is underway, as an immediate response to the forwarded Outlook problem, to recognize future submissions and cut them from the stream (with explanation to reporters).