IE 5.01 through 7 critical update

Wazoo

"will be included in a future update" pretty much sucks for the issues involved and that these exploits are now documented in so many places at this point. My suggestion is that you probably don't want to wait until the next "patch Tuesday" if that's what is meant by "in the future" ...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms09-014.mspx

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-014 - Critical

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (963027)

Published: April 14, 2009

Version: 1.0

"will be included in a future update" pretty much sucks for the issues involved and that these exploits are now documented in so many places at this point. My suggestion is that you probably don't want to wait until the next "patch Tuesday" if that's what is meant by "in the future" ...

I believe today is Patch Tuesday as that is when I generally receive the Tech Update with the latest info.

I believe today is Patch Tuesday as that is when I generally receive the Tech Update with the latest info.

OK, maybe you got me there. I was just reacting to the three different "Security notices" I received today, then hit the Microsoft page to see what their response actually was. As noted, the "will be included" phrase just blew me away, when the other commentary stated that some of the explots are in the wild already.

OK, you got it right .... http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/ agrees with "today" being the day ....

On the other hand, recalling now ... at least one user here is still using IE5, and was therefore thinking that the "Windows Update" wouldn't be available .... I've got a 98 system here that I haven't figured out how to get updated, haven't cheked a 98SE system in a while to see if that even works these days.

It seems strange that MS would be supporting IE 5.01 and 5.5 when I would think that the only ones using them are stuck because they are running older unsupported MS operating systems which make it impossible to upgrade IE. Probably MS's way of tring to force users to pay to upgrade the OS to be able to apply the free patch to fix other older software that is still supported.

It seems strange that MS would be supporting IE 5.01 and 5.5 when I would think that the only ones using them are stuck because they are running older unsupported MS operating systems which make it impossible to upgrade IE.

Not sure. As I recollect, IE5 was also tied to Win-2000, which is also a bit old. There is quite a list available on the referenced page.

• 3 weeks later...

IE 8 offered as an option with the last batch of Windows/MS patches (this week) - XP and Vista. Bad press in some parts but installed on both and so far operating without a hitch. Includes some sort of 'compatability' switch which

• is occasion for a chuckle or two
  • should overcome most page display-control problems

Used (XP) on these forums once or twice with no problems noticed.

Now we can look forward to critical patches for IE 8 :D

WARNING! I installed IE8 on my XP Home machine and then, every time I closed IE, I got three "Application error" warnings (with the "critical warning" sound effect) in a row. So, I rolled back to IE7 using a tool from Microsoft for that purpose, and I'm *still* getting those three errors (containing "Memory could not be 'read'" warnings) when exiting out of IE. Micro$loth has screwed the pooch yet again!!! :excl:

DT

...Micro$loth has screwed the pooch yet again!!! :excl:
Bummer, sympathy. I've since heard some even having trouble uninstalling, which MS may have anticipated with this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

For any preferring to persevere, this link from the above: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_v8intro

As stated, I have no problems so far with 2 installations - XP Home and Vista Home Basic - admittedly both quite new (and both fully patched - I learned that particular lesson long ago).

Archived