[Resolved] Problems with SpamCop SMTP server?

Hello,

I am trying to implement an automated way to report spam to SpamCop. Using SpamAssassin (spamassassin -r <file) I always get SpamCop report to vmx2.spamcop.net failed: Net::SMTP error and could not report spam to SpamCop messages, even if I try to increase the default timeout from 10 seconds to whatever big number I want. I also have my firewall with port 570 opened.

Having no luck at that I registered an account and got a customized SpamCop reporting e-mail address. However if I try to send spam to this address, I get:

[at]4000000049ff9260194f2dec.s:[at]4000000049ff8e45308712a4 starting delivery 934: msg 4248722 to remote submit.16CharSecretAddr[at]spam.spamcop.net

[at]4000000049ff9260194f2dec.s:[at]4000000049ff8e813a9d6cac delivery 934: deferral: Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/

I tried testing SpamCop's SMTP server with telnet mx.spamcop.net 25 but I get this:

mail:~# telnet mx.spamcop.net 25

Trying 64.88.168.82...

Connected to mx.spamcop.net.

Escape character is '^]'.

220 mxin2.cesmail.net ESMTP

HELO clubedohardware.com.br

250 mxin2.cesmail.net

MAIL

250 ok

RCPT TO submit.16CharSecretAddr[at]spam.spamcop.net

421 unable to read controls (#4.3.0)

Connection closed by foreign host.

So far I have no luck, any suggestions? Does anyone know if their SMTP server is really bad?

Cheers,

Gabriel.

[edit] Munged "secret" submit address

I just sent 12 messages to quick.xxxxx[at]smap.spamcop.net looking at past reports the attached spam got there. So i guess the short answer is seems to be up.

...Having no luck at that I registered an account and got a customized SpamCop reporting e-mail address. However if I try to send spam to this address, I get:

[at]4000000049ff9260194f2dec.s:[at]4000000049ff8e45308712a4 starting delivery 934: msg 4248722 to remote submit.16CharSecretAddr[at]spam.spamcop.net

[at]4000000049ff9260194f2dec.s:[at]4000000049ff8e813a9d6cac delivery 934: deferral: Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/

I munged your submit address - that is supposed to be 'secret'. Register another one if you later have reason to believe it may have been 'harvested' from these pages. Do not post it in public again. Here is JormaH's topic where he spent much effort in getting SC reporting to work through SA - http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...amp;#entry62794 - there may be matters of interest to you there, I cannot say (it is all 'magic' to me :D)
...I tried testing SpamCop's SMTP server with telnet mx.spamcop.net 25 but I get this:

Trying 64.88.168.82...

250 mxin2.cesmail.net

MAIL

250 ok

Connection closed by foreign host....

You are not contacting the right server, I think. Try your submit address on http://hexillion.com/asp/samples/ValidateEmail.asp

You should get like:

MX records

preference exchange IP address (if included)

5 vmx1.spamcop.net [204.15.82.27]

5 vmx2.spamcop.net [204.15.82.29]

SMTP session

[Contacting vmx1.spamcop.net [204.15.82.27]...]

[Connected]

220 vmx1.spamcop.net ESMTP

EHLO hexillion.com

250-vmx1.spamcop.net

250-8BITMIME

250 SIZE 104857600

NOOP *** See <http://www.hexillion.com/MailAdmin/> for an explanation of this session

250 ok

NOOP *** HexValidEmail COM 1.4.12 <5c31a8fa73d35685c3baa1e0430da151bdc52a85>

250 ok

RSET

250 reset

MAIL FROM:<HexValidEmail[at]hexillion.com>

250 sender <HexValidEmail[at]hexillion.com> ok

RCPT TO:<submit.(munged)[at]spam.spamcop.net>

250 recipient <submit.(munged)[at]spam.spamcop.net> ok

RSET

250 reset

QUIT

221 vmx1.spamcop.net

[Connection closed]

Where I have munged the actual submit address for posting here.

When it is all working and reliably reporting spam (only) you may be interested in researching 'quick' reporting here, in these forums - you will see reference in Lou's post that he uses it. It is more 'streamlined' than the full reporting account you have but should not be considered until you are confident with the process, I think.

We will be interested if you keep us advised of your progress.

First of all, thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks for editing my address and thanks for pointing out the link to the other thread. I will read it.

I will investigate this issue further with the information you guys posted, thanks in advance. I will post later my findings.

Cheers.

Gabriel.

Thanks. It seems the problem is with my hosting company, that can't reach SpamCop's e-mail server. I will contact them:

tracert vmx1.spamcop.net

traceroute to vmx1.spamcop.net (204.15.82.27), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets

1 v1.g3k-1.dfw02.800hosting.net (69.41.161.1) 2.856 ms 3.082 ms 3.309 ms

2 v100.c6r-1.dfw02.800hosting.net (69.41.191.44) 2.803 ms 2.826 ms 3.045 ms

3 * * *

4 * * *

5 * * *

6 * * *

7 * * *

BTW: The SpamAssassin link you posted is about SpamAssassin on the client side. The integration I am talking about is on the server side. But nevermind, as mentioned about the problem is probably with my hosting company, that has one of its routers misconfigured.

Gabriel.

BTW: The SpamAssassin link you posted is about SpamAssassin on the client side. The integration I am talking about is on the server side. But nevermind, as mentioned about the problem is probably with my hosting company, that has one of its routers misconfigured.
Thanks for the clarification and update Gabriel. Good luck.

you may be interested in researching 'quick' reporting here, in these forums - you will see reference in Lou's post that he uses it. It is more 'streamlined' than the full reporting account you have but should not be considered until you are confident with the process, I think.

My view is that automating reporting is almost certain to generate false submissions sooner or later. I concur that using the quick reporting address should not be done until the automated process has been well proven. But actually, I'd say it should not be done at all. The human scan of the mail items is part of the process to ensure only spam is submitted.

As much as the intentions in automating reports are applauded, I, personally, feel an entirely automated process driven by spam Assassin is too likely to generate false reports. Virtually daily I receive legitimate Emails that fail one or other SA tests - normally because the HTML content is faulty or somesuch.

Andrew

Hello,

I am trying to implement an automated way to report spam to SpamCop. Using SpamAssassin (spamassassin -r <file) I always get SpamCop report to vmx2.spamcop.net failed: Net::SMTP error and could not report spam to SpamCop messages, even if I try to increase the default timeout from 10 seconds to whatever big number I want. I also have my firewall with port 570 opened.

Having no luck at that I registered an account and got a customized SpamCop reporting e-mail address. However if I try to send spam to this address, I get:

I tried testing SpamCop's SMTP server with telnet mx.spamcop.net 25 but I get this:

Trying 64.88.168.82...

250 mxin2.cesmail.net

MAIL

250 ok

Connection closed by foreign host.

So far I have no luck, any suggestions? Does anyone know if their SMTP server is really bad?

Cheers,

Gabriel.

[edit] Munged "secret" submit address

spam.spamcop.net and spamcop.net are hosted on different IPs. spamcop.net is the SpamCop email system for users who buy an account and get an email address of the format <name>[at]spamcop.net/cesmail.net

The reporting system is at the spam.spamcop.net domain

'; <<>> DiG 9.4.1-P1.1 <<>> spam.spamcop.net mx

;; global options: printcmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 15658

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;spam.spamcop.net. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:

spam.spamcop.net. 358 IN MX 5 vmx2.spamcop.net.

spam.spamcop.net. 358 IN MX 5 vmx1.spamcop.net.

dig spamcop.net mx

; <<>> DiG 9.4.1-P1.1 <<>> spamcop.net mx

;; global options: printcmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 21489

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;spamcop.net. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:

spamcop.net. 300 IN MX 10 mx2.spamcop.net.

spamcop.net. 300 IN MX 5 mx.spamcop.net.

ellen[at]sam:~$ telnet vmx2.spamcop.net 25

Trying 204.15.82.29...

Connected to vmx2.spamcop.net.

220 vmx2.spamcop.net ESMTP

helo <deleted>

250 vmx2.spamcop.net

Also you cannot do a procmail .forward to submit spam; the spam needs to be enclosed in a new mime wrapper.

Ellen

Also you cannot do a procmail .forward to submit spam; the spam needs to be enclosed in a new mime wrapper.

Yes, I know, that is why I will be using this:

http://www.spamcop.net/reporter.pl

Regarding SpamAssassin, the way I am implementing the reporting is like this: I select the messages I want to report on a folder called spam and then SpamAssassin only reports spam on that folder. Maybe you are not fully aware on how SpamAssassin works. To report spam using it you have to manually run the command spamassassin -r <file on the mail file you want to report.

BTW: The problem is solved, my hosting company fixed their routing tables.

Cheers,

Gabriel.

...BTW: The problem is solved, my hosting company fixed their routing tables.
Great news Gabriel. You are reporting successfully now? We will mark this "Resolved" if so.

Please, mark this thread as "RESOLVED".

Just a final tip for system administrator using SpamAssassin to report (spamassasin -r). You need to add the following values on /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf:

spamcop_from_address name[at]site.com

spamcop_to_address submit.key[at]spam.spamcop.net

Replace "key" with the real random key.

Archived