Confirmation Posts - Why?

jim-bal

Is there any way that I can bypass the necessity of logging on to the spamcop web page and confirming the post when I am reporting spam?

Everything that I report to Spamcop with the link provided to me has already been confirmed as spam when I hit 'Send'. I don't see the need of doing the extra step.

When you are logging in to finish the reporting process, you are not confirming that the message is spam, but are rather confirming that the reports are being sent to the right people; that you are not reporting your own ISP because the parser happen to make a mistake or because your mail hosts entries are out of date. There is a way around it, it is called Quick Reporting but those reports do not carry the same weight as report sent under full reporting

Edited to correct error. Quick Reporting carries the same weight as Full Reporting as regards to the SpamCop BL.

All reports carry the same weight with the only exception being reporting as a Mole.

I always thought that QuickReporting carried the same weight in the algorithm to list IP addresses in the spamcop blocklist, but maybe I missed something. However, QuickReporting ignores all the spamvertised sites and no reports are sent so maybe that was what was meant.

I found checking the confirmation reports from QuickReporting (to make sure that my ISP didn't change servers or that some other glitch didn't occur) was just as tedious as sending each report. Also, occasionally something that looks like spam when I sent it to spamcop doesn't look like spam after the parse. I may be a super cautious person, however. I often turn back to make sure I have locked a door. <g>

spamcop is a tool for you to use in reporting spam. It is up to you how you use it. (You do have to have mailhosts configured to use QuickReporting).

Miss Betsy

it is called Quick Reporting but those reports do not carry the same weight as report sent under full reporting

I always thought that QuickReporting carried the same weight in the algorithm to list IP addresses in the spamcop blocklist,

Quick-Reporting only looks at the headers of the spam e-mail, and therefore only identifies the source of the e-mail for any outgoing Reports. The identified IP Address in a successfilly parsed spam item (with an outgoing Report generated) will count as an entry into the SpamCopDNSBL database, listing (and de-listing) of said IP Address would be based on the results of the scoring equation.

I'll be happy to set you up with "quick" reporting so you can send in your spam and have SpamCop automatically report it without further action on your part.

However, it's a high-risk process for us because of the potential reporting errors if everything isn't set up right, so first you need to run our Mailhost configuration utility so that SpamCop can create a list of the services that handle your email so that our system will know what servers to trust when you report your spam. You'll need to configure a host for *all* (each) of the networks/hosts you receive mail through.

That would include any webmail hosts, such as Yahoo, HotMail, or gMail, and forwarding services like Bigfoot or Sneakemail, and any other services that provide you an email address, such as alumni associations or professional associations.

You can accomplish that by logging into your SpamCop account at http://www.spamcop.net and using the Mailhosts tab to tell SpamCop about *all* of your service providers, forwarding services, and webmail hosts. You need to register one email address for each network/host/service that provides you an email address.

Registering your email providers is pretty much the same as reporting spam, except that you return our test emails to a different address, or copy/paste them into a different form. The instructions are contained in every test email we send.

Once you start configuring hosts, you can't report spam again until you get them all on your list because the Mailhost system completely changes the way SpamCop looks at your spam.

As soon as you're finished, and you've reported some spam to make sure things are working right, let me know and I'll set you up with "quick" reporting.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Archived