Sorry, new GeoCities accounts are no longer available.

Farelf

So, that's why GeoCities hosting of spamvertizing/redirects seems to have reduced in recent times?

Sorry, new GeoCities accounts are no longer available.

Current GeoCities customers:

After careful consideration, we have decided to close GeoCities later this year. We'll share more details this summer. For now, please sign in or visit the help center for more information.

Yeah, that would slow them (spammers) down. But not stop them. Manual report on hosted bank phish image - http://geocities.com/shaezmail/comm.GIF - answered 'immediately' with an ebullient robot's (that would be the opposite of a Marvin-type robot's) "Thank you for reaching out to us. We look forward to helping you!". Obviously they savor they moment, a full (US) working day and the criminal's page is still there. Other inadvertent hosts of this stuff do better. Whatever. I'm just wondering whether there's been hacking of abandoned websites there. Possibly.

And yeah, sort of sorry to see GeoCities go. Many, many times when searching for obscure and rare information, a GeoCities site has come up in the results. Shows they met a need and provided a useful service. But all too often that magical page was long-gone and only the 'look again' 404 page resulted. Which I guess shows they were fairly quick to close abandoned accounts. But, even so, the spammers made hay there. Requiscat in pace GeoCites. And I do mean requiscat. Cease this undead stuff.

Follow up - okay, the image has now been taken down now and confirmation of investigation and unspecified action received. In fact the whole account has been closed.

Archived