SMTP AUTH not working on Thunderbird

I am trying to use smtp.cesmail.net in my laptop via Thunderbird to send mail, and it's not working. I get the message:

Sending of message failed.

The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.cesmail.net failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and tray again, or else contact your network administrator.

I am using port 587, server name smtp.cesmail.net, using SSL, and using name and password for "Security and Authentication" I've tried port 25 and 465 and neither work, and give the same error message. If I turn off SSL, everything works fine (and it uses port 25 then).

Using my iPhone with the same settings works fine.

I had similar problems trying to use Outlook.

My ISP is Comcast in case that's gumming up the works somehow...

I am trying to use smtp.cesmail.net in my laptop via Thunderbird to send mail, and it's not working. I get

I am using port 587, server name smtp.cesmail.net, using SSL, and using name and password for "Security and Authentication" I've tried port 25 and 465 and neither work, and give the same error message. If I turn off SSL, everything works fine (and it uses port 25 then).

My ISP is Comcast in case that's gumming up the works somehow...

Thought I would try testing it also. I have been unable to get SSL to work for either SMTP or POP

The info in the following link did not seem to help:

FAQ: Getting Mail From The SpamCop Email System

Thought I would try testing it also. I have been unable to get SSL to work for either SMTP or POP

The info in the following link did not seem to help:

FAQ: Getting Mail From The SpamCop Email System

I use smtp.cesmail.net, port 587, and no SSL. I'm not sure they ever had SSL working for SMTP. Port 587 is simply an alternate port for SMTP.

I am trying to use smtp.cesmail.net in my laptop via Thunderbird to send mail, and it's not working.

Siggest one starts reading at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=53670 .... very confusing, and I don't recollect ever getting things cleared up any more than that. Although most of the discussion is about Outlook, OE, AppleMail, the issue was actually all over the place.

I believe that what it boils down to is not SSL itself, but the handshaking involved that also includes TLS .... and that's where the Microsoft tools had sever issues. On the other hand, note all the confusion caused by some folks stating "no problem" and so many others stating "impossible feat" ...????

Much more confusion is possible when one also notes that there are yet even more servers in the farm now than back then, a 'mobile' connection is available, on and on ....

I am trying to use smtp.cesmail.net in my laptop via Thunderbird to send mail, and it's not working.

Like otehrs I don't think SSL security has ever worked. The SMTP AUTH used is the standard exchange of username and password which you appear to be using.

Andrew

Like otehrs I don't think SSL security has ever worked. The SMTP AUTH used is the standard exchange of username and password which you appear to be using.

That's bizarre, because I have "use SSL" checked on my iPhone and it works. I guess the iPhone is lying...

That's a little sucky to have the password sent over a non-encrypted connection...

Don't have a SC mail account but vaguely recall something about encryption - ah yes http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=46085

Yes, the "start reading here" I last posted was pointing to stuff n the middle of that Topic. However, from appearances, this Topic Starter has no interest in doing that bit of research either. It seems th me that reading that stuff would have changed the I guess the iPhone is lying statement a bit, noting the differences in other folks' experiences.

Yes, the "start reading here" I last posted was pointing to stuff n the middle of that Topic. However, from appearances, this Topic Starter has no interest in doing that bit of research either. It seems th me that reading that stuff would have changed the I guess the iPhone is lying statement a bit, noting the differences in other folks' experiences.

No, you assume way too much. I did read it and found so many different things being discussed that I couldn't tell what was what. YOU YOURSELF says it's very confusing and were not sure if it ever clears things up. I was not being facetious about the iPhone comment; I can totally believe it says it's using SSL but it really isn't. I had read the whole thing before I posted my question, but missed the TLS part, as I was concentrating on figuring out why SSL was not working (and didn't know what TLS was until now)., and saw so many conflicting reports.

Anyway, I tried TLS, and it worked great. Thanks!

Anyway, I tried TLS, and it worked great. Thanks!

Aww shucksm you're most welcome. Glad you got it worked out.

YOU YOURSELF says it's very confusing and were not sure if it ever clears things up. .... I had read the whole thing before I posted my question, but missed the TLS part, as I was concentrating on figuring out why SSL was not working (and didn't know what TLS was until now)., and saw so many conflicting reports.

The confusion, as I see it, comes from users in the same boat as yourself. Folks using different (versions) of different tools, not rreally knowing how they work, some handling things automatically in the background, others needing some specific configuration settings and data, on and on. Folks that simply post the "works for me" without offering a full definition of the background details leave others basically going nuts trying to sort out what they are missng or doing wrong. Then there's the few of us in the middle, tryng to sort out what facts that may exist, trying to discover the missing details, and wishing that someone that really had the keys to the total picture might just happen by and color in all the blank spots.

For instance, a great deed would be done if you'd add a post to that other referenced Topic, explaining the problems you had, and what steps you took that cleared up the problem for you. Help the next guy/girl that runs into the same problem is the plan.

The confusion, as I see it, comes from users in the same boat as yourself. Folks using different (versions) of different tools, not rreally knowing how they work, some handling things automatically in the background, others needing some specific configuration settings and data, on and on. Folks that simply post the "works for me" without offering a full definition of the background details leave others basically going nuts trying to sort out what they are missng or doing wrong. Then there's the few of us in the middle, tryng to sort out what facts that may exist, trying to discover the missing details, and wishing that someone that really had the keys to the total picture might just happen by and color in all the blank spots.

Totally understand.

For instance, a great deed would be done if you'd add a post to that other referenced Topic, explaining the problems you had, and what steps you took that cleared up the problem for you. Help the next guy/girl that runs into the same problem is the plan.

Done: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=72136

Archived