theonlinenews.org - beware

dbiel

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3077615200zc...d0f0ad5f5031aaz

I hate to admit it, but I almost fell for this spam trick.

It starts with a simple email that sounds legit (tracking URL above) and states:

Someone has shared a news article with you:

http://theonlinenews.org/secure/?showStory=jobs

Note to moderators: if you think this link should be broken please do so

The get rich schemes are a dead giveaway that you are asking for problems

But when the article looks to be legit and includes statements like:

"We never tell anyone they'll make millions of dollars, in fact I think this is the ONLY online system that says you probably WON'T make millions, but you can generate a legitimate income from home like I do that replaced my full time job."

It becomes real easy to fall for the scam especially now with so many of us out of work looking to replace our former income.

I actually started filling out the form before I came to my senses and decided to do some research first.

When a did a whois look up on theonlinenews.org nothing showed up.

A Google search brings up a McAfee warning

A bit more research and the whole thing is clearly nothing but a big scam.

Just thought I would post the warning here

If someone like me, who should know better, almost fell for it; I can easily see countless others who will fall for it.

By the way, dropping the web address into the parser resulted in the following:

Parsing input: http://theonlinenews.org/secure/?showStory=jobs
Host theonlinenews.org (checking ip) = 220.164.144.209
host 220.164.144.209 = 209.144.164.220.broad.sm.yn.dynamic.163data.com.cn (cached)
[report history]
Routing details for 220.164.144.209
[refresh/show] Cached whois for 220.164.144.209 : anti-spam[at]ns.chinanet.cn.net ynipm[at]126.com
abuse net chinanet.cn.net = postmaster[at]chinanet.cn.net, anti-spam[at]ns.chinanet.cn.net
Using last resort contacts postmaster[at]chinanet.cn.net anti-spam[at]ns.chinanet.cn.net ynipm[at]126.com
postmaster[at]chinanet.cn.net bounces (99 sent : 20164 bounces)

Using postmaster#chinanet.cn.net[at]devnull.spamcop.net for statistical tracking.
ynipm[at]126.com bounces (8 sent : 6 bounces)

Using ynipm#126.com[at]devnull.spamcop.net for statistical tracking.
Statistics:
220.164.144.209 not listed in bl.spamcop.net
More Information..
220.164.144.209 not listed in dnsbl.njabl.org ( 127.0.0.8 ) 
220.164.144.209 not listed in dnsbl.njabl.org ( 127.0.0.9 ) 
220.164.144.209 not listed in cbl.abuseat.org
220.164.144.209 not listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net

Reporting addresses:
anti-spam[at]ns.chinanet.cn.net 

Who said China was getting tough on spam?

...Who said China was getting tough on spam?

They have the regulatory framework to deal with it. No doubt they do deal with it - when it adversely affects Chinese. Outside of that, all bets are off, in fact their national interests might be well be served (most coincidentally) if competing economies were to be (so unfortunately) beaten up a little around the edges by some 'loyal entrepreneurs' of the PRC ... This century is, after all, earmarked as 'the Asian century'.

O/T so far as the specific website but completely on topic WRT unsolicited work offers and 'working from home':

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityf...ud_part_ii.html

... What follows is a description of the malicious software used, a blow-by-blow account of how the attackers worked the heist, as well interviews with a couple of women hired to receive the stolen funds and forward the money on to fraudsters in Ukraine. This case also serves as an example of how e-mail scams can be used to dupe unknowing victims in serving as accomplices in their plan. ...
Note the part of the story "The Role of the Money Mules - Scammed Into Serving" - frightening stuff.

Archived