[Resolved] "No source IP address found, cannot proceed"

marciano

That is the red text when I try to report my own ISP

They send spam to all their accounts, they do not have a link to unsuscribe.

Last year I also have talk them to not to send announcements (most of them have nothing to do with their service).

No way.

I couldn't report them because of the title.

I also doubt they do anything about other users they have sending spam and reported here.

Thank you

You seem to have strong feeling about the "announcement"(?), send by your ISP. Other members of this forum could share their opinions with more understanding of you situation if you had included a tracking URL of an example of what your ISP is sending.

If in fact, your ISP doesn't do anything about other users sending spam, I would suggest finding another ISP sense you email will also be tainted as spam because it comes from the same IP address as their spam. This is just a guess sense we don't know who your ISP is or the IP address of their SMTP. Again, a tracking URL would be helpful.

As above, without a Tracking URL, the best anyone here can do is guess at things. Here's mine;

You get the 'error' message because the ISP generated the e-mail within their own network and sent it to the users, also within their own network .. thusly, there was no external/Internet IP Address involved. This same subject has come up in the past referencing GMail to GMail, Yahoo to Yahoo, etc. e-mails. All "internal" network IP Addresses involved, so there is nothing the Parsing System can actually try to track beyond the non-routable IPAs.

Last year I also have talk them to not to send announcements (most of them have nothing to do with their service).

Possible different definitions for the word 'spam' in use. Generally, the ISP's use of sending marketing, advertising, announcements, etc. to their users is something addressed within the Terms of Use or someother variation of a legal agreement between them and their users. Some low-cost ISPs/Hosts have that 'low-cost to users' actually paid for by the advertising revenue they collect for sending all that spam/marketing/etc. to their users.

<snip>

<snip>

Possible different definitions for the word 'spam' in use.

<snip>

...And, in terms of whether you can use SpamCop to report this "spam," SpamCop's definition rules. See the SpamCop FAQ entry labeled "On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop?" especially the first item labeled number 1. If I understand correctly, by signing up with and using the services of your ISP, you "implicitly" solicited these communications.

Sorry, it seems like paste was unsuccessful

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3099632399z1...c0ad129bb79e8bz

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

You seem to have strong feeling about the "announcement"(?), send by your ISP.

I am not subscribed to any newsletter, even more, there's no place to unsuscribe.

If, at least, they send promotions about their service, one can understand. But no, they send promotions for draws to win tickets for the cinema.

Thanks for this data. As I suggested above, the Parser tries to locate the sourve of the e-mail on the Internet .. however, because the e-mail in question was sent from the ISP/Host directly to users within/on its own system, no Internet resources were used. There is only the single Received: line within the headers, using a non-routable IP Address of 192.168.2.42. I can come up with over a dozen homes/busineses within walking distance here that use the 192.168.2.x address scheme for their internal networks, many more using the 192.168.1.x address range. This IP Address range is set aside for use within 'internal' networks, thus not ptoptogated over the Internet.

Any complaints that you want to make about these will have be done manually. As you say that you have and it didn't help, the next course might be to build some filter Rules to actually do something with those e-mails. Are the Subject: lines common in any way, for example?

You didn't mention any Terms of Use or Customer Aggreeements as part of the 'contrect for services' with this ISP/Host.

I am not subscribed to any newsletter,
...Based on Alta Cuenta's terms of service, it appears that you did (implicitly):
Under "Términos y condiciones generales del servicio" [emphasis mine] --

1. ACEPTACIÓN DE LOS TÉRMINOS Y CONDICIONES

<snip>

2. DESCRIPCIÓN DEL SERVICIO

Adinet provee o proveerá a los usuarios el acceso a una amplia gama de herramientas, incluyendo variadas herramientas de comunicación, servicios de compra, contenido personalizado y programación de terceros por medio de su red, a la que se puede acceder a través de diversos medios o dispositivos conocidos o a ser desarrollados en el futuro (el "Servicio"). Ud. comprende y acepta que el Servicio puede incluir publicidad. Ud. también comprende y acepta que el Servicio puede incluir ciertas comunicaciones de Adinet, como anuncios de servicios, mensajes administrativos, newsletters, etc.

<snip>

English translation courtesy of WorldLingo for portion of item #2 quoted above in Spanish [emphasis mine]:

2. DESCRIPTION OF the Adinet

SERVICE provides or will provide to the users the access to an ample range with tools, including varied tools of communication, services of purchase, customized content and programming of third by means of its network, to which it is possible to be acceded through diverse means or well-known devices or to being developed in the future (the “Service”). You it includes/understands and it accepts that the Service can include publicity. You also it includes/understands and it accepts that the Service can include certain communications of Adinet, like announcements of services, administrative messages, newsletters, etc.

even more, there's no place to unsuscribe.

<snip>

...Yes, it is reasonable that this makes it spam to you -- but not sufficient to make it reportable using SpamCop under SpamCop's rules.

I'm almost sure that this clause didn't exist when I got my first account.

I know ... 'we take the rights to change whatever we like whenever we like without notice, you take it or you leave it.' Don't sure

Just anectotal... I remember that email account had a montly fee!

I'm not glad.

:blush:

But there are worse things!

BTW, maybe some kind people can give me a clue or maybe an advise on this issue.

I've just moved my dedicated server (remote).

No one, likes me now: hotmail, yahoo and gmail because of their spam policy.

I have almost the same conf as my old server: spf record, etc.(verified with http://old.openspf.org/wizard.html)

New IP, not blacklisted, neutral ranked. Moreover I am hosting a new domain I purchased.

Yahoo defers our mail because of user's complains about this domain. C'mon! It's a new domain! (first owner)

Gmail delivers to spam folder and Hotmail deletes all our mail. I've contacted hotmail folks and we are 'talking'.

I really cannot understan why they eventually have to correct this manually.

I cannot believe that the worst task I have to perform moving a server is this issue.

I also posted detailed data in other forums: no answers.

I am thinking about going back again to post mail, ups, fedex++ or maybe telegrams!!

I know (it is the fir$t thing hotmail and yahoo recommend) there are trusted companies that transmit our me$$age$. I have very low traffic, it doesn't worth, it is too expensive.

Thanks and sorry for the digression.

It is difficult when you have low volume, but even so IMHO it is wise to use 'best practices' - delete bounces from your list, get an email from them that says they want to receive your emails, send at regular intervals so they expect to hear from you.

Miss Betsy

it is wise to use 'best practices' - delete bounces from your list, get an email from them that says they want to receive your emails, send at regular intervals so they expect to hear from you.

Miss Betsy

Which is the best of the best practices?

Not to send almost any mail?

This is my case testing a just purchased new domail.

2, 3 or maybe 4 mails/day (all testing ones, small body text, medium body text)

None are accepted.

/var/named/MyNewDomain.com.hosts

$ttl 38400

MyNewDomain.com. IN SOA ns1.MyNewDomain.com. root.MyNewDomain.com. (

38400 )

[at] IN NS ns1.MyNewDomain.com.

[at] IN NS ns2.MyNewDomain.com.

MyNewDomain.com. IN A 174.142.***.***

localhost.MyNewDomain.com. IN A 127.0.0.1

MyNewDomain.com. IN MX 5 MyNewDomain.com.

MyNewDomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:174.142.***.*** a mx a:MyNewDomain.com ~all"

ns1 IN A 174.142.***.***

ns2 IN A 174.142.***.***

Subdomains omitted.

I have a 1200 users maillist in another old domain. Three, maybe four times a year I send them a newletter.

These are subsribers that have suscribed by themselves. A link to unsuscribe is provided.

Thanks,

M

PS

For hotmail

http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx

https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productK...&ct=eformts

https://postmaster.live.com/snds (mails for verification are sent to my hosting company, they do nothing -> useless)

If I have to perform things like this for every mail server then I'll have to evaluate if it would be better to left servers and purchase a farm for breeding pigs!

Which is the best of the best practices?

<snip>

...See SpamCop FAQ (link near top left of page) entry labeled "Am I running mailing lists responsibly? Updated!"
These are subsribers that have suscribed by themselves.
...Unless you are following the "best practices," you probably can not know this for certain.
A link to unsuscribe is provided.
...Not sufficient -- wise people will not unsubscribe from communications to which they did not subscribe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all!

I'm getting the same No- IP message for all spams submitted since a month and the Spamcop parsing doesn't work for me anymore, in opposite to the very good work before.

I wonder if it is not somehow related with the whois recognition database used. 2 examples from today:

1. Received: from 41.201.100.163 by mail2 (envelope-from <byeyblpzdvr[at]reuters.com>, uid 1007)

Received: from unknown (HELO reuters.com) (41.201.100.163)

No unique hostname found for source: 41.201.100.163

Tracing the IP from a website returns:

The IP address 41.201.100.163 appears to have been assigned by the African Network Information Centre (AfriNIC)

Full data at http://www.afrinic.net/cgi-bin/whois?searc...=41.201.100.163

2. Received: from 201.82.98.125 by mail2 (envelope-from <x>, uid 1007)

Received: from unknown (HELO ?201.82.98.125?) (201.82.98.125)

No unique hostname found for source: 201.82.98.125

Tracing the IP from a website returns:

The source host name is "c952627d.virtua.com.br" and the source IP address is 201.82.98.125

The IP address 201.82.98.125 appears to have been assigned by the Latin American and Caribbean IP address Regional Registry (LACNIC)

Full data at http://lacnic.net/cgi-bin/lacnic/whois?lg=...y=201.82.98.125

I'm getting the same No- IP message for all spams submitted since a month and the Spamcop parsing doesn't work for me anymore, in opposite to the very good work before.

I wonder if it is not somehow related with the whois recognition database used.

There simply has to be some reason why, in all the data presented, a Tracking URL wasn't provided. Wonder what it was?

Archived