Restore rapid Firefox startup

Farelf

Though only using Ffx on my current (Win XP H) machine since February and not even having it as my default browser, it was starting to get really aggravating with slooow startup times. Maybe 8-10 seconds - enough to count the all electrons in the universe anyway. User 'alan' in grc.techtalk on news.grc.com has helpfully pointed to http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/07/vacuum-...er-performance/

Firefox, since version 3.0, apparently keeps a heap of stuff in SQLite databases, including 90 day default history Vs 9 day hitherto. Which benefit from "vacuuming" every now and then to defragment and trim unused space (see the intro in the above link).

What worked for me:

Download and unzip the appropriate version of sqlite3.exe, as directed (from sqlite-3_6_16.zip for Windows), into the profile file with the sqlite databases - my xxxxxxxx.default folder in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ on the XP.

Run - cmd the batch command "for %a in (*.sqlite) do (sqlite3 %a vacuum)" (without the quotes) from the command prompt, within that xxxxxxxx.default directory (at the

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default> prompt).

Firefox 3.5 startup time instantly reduced back to the old "single heartbeat" times of yore. YMMV - remember I don't use Ffx a whole lot. Anyway, well worth trying IMO.

Archived