[Resolved] my "@cesmail.net" address is sending me spam

hammerlock

I have two possibly related issues:

First, I continue to get many spam emails that are "from" my spamcop address. I've spam-listed them in my spamcop InBox but to no avail.

Secondly, my [at]cesmail.net address is always put in Junk by Outlook (2007). I've repeatedly taken it from the blocked senders list and indicated it as "safe". For example, if I CC myself on an email, the CC ends up in my Junk folder.

I've tried searching but can't match the problem. where should I look or better yet, how do I remedy this?

Thanks.

Jim J

Hi, Jim!

I have two possibly related issues:

First, I continue to get many spam emails that are "from" my spamcop address. I've spam-listed them in my spamcop InBox but to no avail.

...Are you saying that you get spams "from" yourself that are delivered to your SpamCop Inbox? If so, please check to be sure you have not included your e-mail address in your Whitelist.
Secondly, my [at]cesmail.net address is always put in Junk by Outlook (2007). I've repeatedly taken it from the blocked senders list and indicated it as "safe". For example, if I CC myself on an email, the CC ends up in my Junk folder.

I've tried searching but can't match the problem. where should I look or better yet, how do I remedy this?

...What I do (in Outlook 2003) is to use the "Not Junk" feature. This does not work when one of my Outlook Rules tells Outlook to move an e-mail to the Junk folder; I have to add the e-mail address I don't want it to move to Junk as an Exception in the Rule.

Hi, Jim!...Are you saying that you get spams "from" yourself that are delivered to your SpamCop Inbox? If so, please check to be sure you have not included your e-mail address in your Whitelist....What I do (in Outlook 2003) is to use the "Not Junk" feature. This does not work when one of my Outlook Rules tells Outlook to move an e-mail to the Junk folder; I have to add the e-mail address I don't want it to move to Junk as an Exception in the Rule.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. The email appears in my SpamCop InBox but my description was incomplete. As you can see from the snip below the email is From "To: jejohn[at]cesmail.net" The "To" is important I assume.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Personal 209 Unknown Date To: jejohn[at]cesmail.net Dear jejohn[at]cesmail.net 88% 0FF on Pfizer !

News Click here[1] to view as a web page. [2] Unsubscribe[3] | Change e-mail address[4] | Privacy Policy[5] | About Us[6] Copyright © 2009 nqnye Inc. All rights reserved. Links: ------ [1] http://www.syatikod.cn [2] http://www. ... 3 KB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks again.

The "To" is important I assume.

Peronally, I can make very little sense out of your "snip"

Yet again, the request is made fo a Tracking URL so the headers can be seen as they exist in your submittal.

Noting that you made no response to the question about the contents of your whitelist.

Also now noting, you posted this into the Reporting Help Forum section, but your query seems to be about your e-mail account .. and that has its own Forum section.

I'm not even sure that this is really Email service help given the Outlook filtering element but...

Looks to me that these are typical spams where the spammer has hijacked or even invented an [at]cesmail.net address and the delivery address is hammerlock's in just the same way as any other spammer might harvest an address.

It is possible that you (hammerlock) have your own Spamcop Email address whitelisted in your Email settings. That would force spam addressed to you to be delivered whatever the situation.

As for your Outlook issue... It would probably be unrealistic to suggest you get a different Email program but it is certainly an Outlook support issue and this bit is definitely a Lounge discussion. You might try some of the many forums that support Outlook users specifically.

Andrew

Let me try to clarify my question. First, let's forget the Outlook question.

I checked--my email address is not in my Spamcop Whitelist.

In Spamcop's webmail the From address appears as "To: jejohn[at]cesmail.net". I receive 10 or so per day and have repeatedly reported them as spam. Apparently to no avail. Again, my email address is not on my whitelist.

When it arrives at my Outlook the "To:" prefix is not there.

Thanks for your patience.

I'm not even sure that this is really Email service help given the Outlook filtering element but...

Looks to me that these are typical spams where the spammer has hijacked or even invented an [at]cesmail.net address and the delivery address is hammerlock's in just the same way as any other spammer might harvest an address.

It is possible that you (hammerlock) have your own Spamcop Email address whitelisted in your Email settings. That would force spam addressed to you to be delivered whatever the situation.

As for your Outlook issue... It would probably be unrealistic to suggest you get a different Email program but it is certainly an Outlook support issue and this bit is definitely a Lounge discussion. You might try some of the many forums that support Outlook users specifically.

Andrew

[edit, excess whitespace and duplicate quote removed]

First, as stated, there is nothing you can do about a spammer forging your address as the sender.

Second, reporting repeatedly is unlikely to help get these to stop as it is unlikely they are all coming from the same source.

Third, what do the headers say about the messages? Specifically, the X-spam-* and X-SpamCop-* headers added by spamcop.

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.2.4 (2008-01-01) on filter7

X-spam-Level:

X-spam-Status: hits=0.6 tests=HTML_MESSAGE,SARE_UNI version=3.2.4

X-SpamCop-Checked: 209.85.218.214 208.75.123.193

It is possible that the messages you are seeing are not triggering enough for SpamAssassin to be blocked by your current settings.

In Spamcop's webmail the From address appears as "To: jejohn[at]cesmail.net". I receive 10 or so per day and have repeatedly reported them as spam. Apparently to no avail. Again, my email address is not on my whitelist.

Thanks for the clarifications...

Just to note that if you are the only person reporting these spam items then it is unlikely you will be able to trigger an entry in the SCBL since the algorithm demands multiple reporters (AFAIK).

From the data provided I don't think you'll be able to prevent these items reaching your mailbox. I think you'll need to train Outlook or create a filter which removes the items once delivered. By all means continue to report them in case other reporters finally start to receive copies.

Can you provide a tracking URL to help us diagnose further?

Andrew

When it arrives at my Outlook the "To:" prefix is not there.

This behavior - Webmail displaying "To:" in the From: column - is just the way webmail currently works.

Since it knows "who you are", if the email appears to be from "you" Webmail chooses to display the "To:" instead. Outlook and most other email clients don't do this.

Another example of slightly odd behavior is in GoogleMail/ Gmail where in the same "special handling" mode if an incoming email appears to be "from you" it is copied to the Sent Mail folder.

All just trying to be helpful

HTH

I must apologize for making this more difficult than it should have been. It turns out the first advice I got to remove my email from my whitelist did in fact solve the problem.

On one hand, thanks for the follow-up .. tagged this as Resolved.

In the other hand, your 'solution' seems to disagree with the data you posted in Linear Post #6, where you said you checked and your e-mail address was NOT in your whitelist. Confusing.

In the other hand, your 'solution' seems to disagree with the data you posted in Linear Post #6, where you said you checked and your e-mail address was NOT in your whitelist. Confusing.

It was confusing and that's why I apologized for the for it. At first I thought the first referred to the Outlook whitelist.

Thanks again.

Jim J.

Moderatr Edit: Deleted unnecessary quoted material, shifted quoted material above the reply

Archived