[Resolved] New Glitch

dra007

Hey, Tony, I'm the appointed paranoiac, are you aiming for the job? :D [...]

Didn't know there was any ;) — I was just acting my usual helpful persona, always ready to give whatever answers I know (or think I know) even if someone else is better placed to answer — after all, (s)he might just have gone to bed or to work, in which case the guy/gal hollering for help (or just wondering why something is this way and not otherwise) might have to wait a further 8 hours or so. Also guessing "to the best of my knowledge" where I don't know the answer.

Not aiming for any job — in fact, if I got a job it might take away my benefit for 66% invalidity (neuro-psychiatric) and possibly raise my tax level so far that my income would actually become lower. No thanks, non-profit non-mandatory mutual help is just the kind of occupation that fits me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I was just acting my usual helpful persona, always ready to give whatever answers I know (or think I know) even if someone else is better placed to answer — after all, (s)he might just have gone to bed or to work, in which case the guy/gal hollering for help (or just wondering why something is this way and not otherwise) might have to wait a further 8 hours or so. Also guessing "to the best of my knowledge" where I don't know the answer. ...
Same as most of us then :) and such efforts much appreciated, it takes as many as can spare the time to keep the response time reasonable. As Wazoo has often said, nothing worse than those other 'help' venues one surfs into on a web search, only to find the unanswered question languishing, sometimes for years. Effort of all volunteering their considerable knowledge, experience and research/analytical skills with scant and infrequent acknowledgment is nevertheless what makes it work.

And not forgetting SC Admin Don, who provided the fairly-near immediate response mentioned in my previous post. It is not apparent (because I left my posting a while should he elect to post) but he provided the intercession and answer straight away.

I think people should continue to document any "unreported spam" - "reports already sent" observations here should they continue. They may be of diagnostic value (hopefully for SC Engineering, not - as Tony has raised such spectre/specter - for spamscum :))

[...]

I think people should continue to document any "unreported spam" - "reports already sent" observations here should they continue. They may be of diagnostic value (hopefully for SC Engineering, not - as Tony has raised such spectre/specter - for spamscum :))

Well, I had one just now on a "cancelled" report for http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3256570999z8...1795aaeedf16aaz -- and, of course, by now the error has cured itself.

Yes, I have seen this happen to about half of the submissions each day since the system came back online after the 08/19/09 upgrade. I use the forwarding method to report spam. Each time the duplicate report error message has displayed, upon page refresh from the previous report, the new page's 'Report Now' link will be the color indicating a previously visited link (red), rather the color of an unvisited link (blue) as it would be normally.

I am certain none of those spam emails was forwarded more than once because I move each one to a special SpamCop holding folder as they are forwarded. Now that I read the other thread that mentioned reporting the server ID, I will make note of that info if the problem continues.

I thought the double reporting problem had cleared up over the weekend but it returned on Monday, and continues with most submissions.

Tonight there is a new wrinkle. I submitted a single spam by the forwarding method a short while ago. Next I came to the website to complete the report. After submitting the report it appeared again right away, showing it had already been submitted. I clicked Report Now just to be sure there were no other backlogged reports waiting. There were, but it was the same previously submitted report for the third time. I clicked Report Now and the next page had the same report again. This happened a total of four times before it was finally gone. :huh:

The tracking URL of the associated message is

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3256581110zf...e0cac8b61937d9z

Still happening.

When the usual blue link 'Report spam' turns Pink I know right away to not even bother clicking it. Instead I click on 'Held Mail' tab and then back again to 'Report spam' tab. Then the link is no longer Pink. This bug stinks.

Link, Pink, Stink Hey I made a rhyme.....

Still happening.

When the usual blue link 'Report spam' turns Pink I know right away to not even bother clicking it. Instead I click on 'Held Mail' tab and then back again to 'Report spam' tab. Then the link is no longer Pink. This bug stinks.

You do not even need to click the Held Mail tab... simple clicking the "Report spam" tab gives me a clear link each time... and saves 2 clicks over your method :)

Still happening.

Yeah, I don't have a "Held mail" tab but by clicking the Spamcop banner the line goes away and I'm ready to paste the next spam. Maybe pasting it rightaway would even be enough, since I cannot use spam forwarding (my SMTP server drops spam-as-attachment).

I thought the double reporting problem had cleared up over the weekend but it returned on Monday, and continues with most submissions.

Tonight there is a new wrinkle. I submitted a single spam by the forwarding method a short while ago. Next I came to the website to complete the report. After submitting the report it appeared again right away, showing it had already been submitted. I clicked Report Now just to be sure there were no other backlogged reports waiting. There were, but it was the same previously submitted report for the third time. I clicked Report Now and the next page had the same report again. This happened a total of four times before it was finally gone. :huh:

Yeah... I just had that problem... I tried to report two spams via forward to reporting address. The first one kept coming back as "already reported" three times. I finally gave up and clicked "remove all unreported spam." The good thing it was two copies of the same spew, so no real reporting was lost.

HOWEVER I just went to "held mail" (I'm a SpamCop mail customer) and quick reported all but one message that I keep seeing (for over a week now, I've been reporting the same idiot's spew: "You may have a check waiting!") I tried to queue a fresh copy of that same spew, but now it's like the "remove all unreported spam is killing everything I try to queue! This is highly annoying!

No more double reports so far tonight. Three separate spam messages submitted by forwarding, only one report shown each time. :D

I spoke too soon. Everything was good through most of Thursday (8/27), but later tonight I started getting random double reports again. Then a short while ago I had one already reported spam that kept coming back five more times before the next unreported spam would show up. This is becoming very annoying. :angry:

[...] Then a short while ago I had one already reported spam that kept coming back five more times before the next unreported spam would show up. This is becoming very annoying. :angry:

Sounds like I'm lucky. So far, mine have been going away as soon as I go back to the "Welcome registered user" page.

it's not getting any better, if anything I am starting to see up to 3 failures to clear queue in a row for the same spam....
Bad to hear
... I am surprised this would go unnoticed by the powerful for so long now..
Not unnoticed, it has been noticed alright - but an announcement perhaps? Maybe it is 'all hands to the pumps' at the moment, in terms of priorities. But yes, there is something of an informational vacuum developing and growing frustration and uncertainty. I can only reflect that Don and Ellen and Richard between them have always told us a much as they can, as soon as they can.

Bad to hearNot unnoticed, it has been noticed alright - but an announcement perhaps? Maybe it is 'all hands to the pumps' at the moment, in terms of priorities. But yes, there is something of an informational vacuum developing and growing frustration and uncertainty. I can only reflect that Don and Ellen and Richard between them have always told us a much as they can, as soon as they can.

Maybe there's nothing yet to report? (besides, of course, "we're doing our damnedest to find and fix the bug but we aren't there yet")

We're aware of the problem and I have filed a high priority request for a fix.

Unfortunately, this is an intermittent type of problem. which makes it *very* hard to find and fix.

I wish I had more for you, but I don't. All we can do is wait.

Sorry.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

The problem still persists.

In fact I just now ssaw a new symptom... 3 times while parsing my last 8 spams, the page that should have shown the "Report Now" link showed no links at all, like all reporting was complete. Hitting the "Report spam" tab always returned the link I was expecting. I also had 1 of the already reported links in this set, so 4 out of 8 had a problem.

3 times while parsing my last 8 spams, the page that should have shown the "Report Now" link showed no links at all, like all reporting was complete. Hitting the "Report spam" tab always returned the link I was expecting.

The same thing happened to me today. Hope the whole thing will be fixed soon, as about one quarter of the reports for the spam I am forwarding has "already been sent". This is really annoying, as I am getting about one hundred spam emails a day and reporting them takes a lot of time. With the current glitch, much of it is wasted.

EDIT1: The problem even seems to be getting worse: I just had to hit the "Report spam" tab five or ten times for SpamCop to return the "Report Now" link. I would not have noticed that there were still messages left to be reported if it wasn't for the time stamp of the last reported spam that said something like 30 Aug 2009 17:31:33 +0200, which means almost 24 hours ago. But as I had learned from experience that SpamCop processes spam in first in first out order, I could tell that there must be more spam in the queue, as I had forwarded more spam emails this morning.

EDIT2: Currently the "Report Now" link almost never shows up without hitting the "Report spam" tab at least once, often around five times. With hundreds of spam emails in the queue, this makes reporting even more time consuming. I wanted to pull the emergeny brake and clicked on the "Remove all unreported spam" link, but, much to my surprise, that gave me a message that said "Removed 0 unreported messages". And after hitting the "Report spam" tab again about four or five times, the "Report Now" link showed up again. Looks like everything is going awry with SpamCop at the moment, you can neither report spam nor get rid of the messages in the queue. Wouldn't it be a good idea to go back to the previous version of SpamCop? I haven't noticed any differences anyway, except that the upgrade seems to have messed up everything.

It first seemed as if the new problem had been fixed, but now SpamCop is choking on another message:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3279987742z1...d098b9b2708808z

And I am still getting messages about spam already having been reported.

Well, there's Reporting and then there's Reporting .....

Reports regarding this spam have already been sent:

Re: 69.4.239.96 (Silent report about source of mail)

Reportid: 4513257523 To: mole[at]devnull.spamcop.net

Re: http://www.sundaeshops.net/myhouse/wired.jsp (Silent report about spamvertisement)

Reportid: 4513257528 To: mole[at]devnull.spamcop.net

says that your Reports aren't going anywhere but the statistics database amyway ...???? From this side of the screen, I can't see any signs of "choking" on the parse results, so not sure what you're trying to describe with that specific word.

Anyways ... the historical scenario is that things will just start working fine when it's fixed. There may be an announcement of the applied solution or there won't be any mention of it at all.

Hi. I often forward a bunch of messages to spamcop, and then login and report them all, using the "report now" link (I think that is the spelling/words of the link) that shows on the screen as "unreported spam". In the last week (or maybe two) that link seems to be using an old cache or something, that it is often pointing to the same spam I just reported. Sometimes if I refresh the page, the link will update, other times, I click on the "report now" button, and it says, "you've already reported this spam", and then has the same link to itself at the bottom of the page. Yesterday, I clicked on the link probably five times, and it never refreshed to the next spam. So, I just clicked on the "remove all unreported spam", and didn't report the last one.

It'd be nice to fix that, as it is handier than clicking on the link in each email.

Archived