Internet Security – Free GeSWall

Farelf

Thanks once more to paradoX over at news.grc.com (grc.techtalk), pointing to http://billmullins.wordpress.com/2009/09/0...h-free-geswall/

...why not develop a software application that is, in a sense, experienced and intuitive?

GentleSecurity has done just that with the release of GesWall, an intrusion prevention system that is non-intrusive, and requires a minimum of user intervention – perfect for the average user.

Simply put, GeSWall is an isolator which dynamically isolates Internet applications including Web Browsers, Chat Clients, Email Clients, and so on.

By handling security in this way, GeSWall prevents damage from intrusions and malicious software: viruses, worms, spyware, key loggers etc., including disallowing rogue software from being installed.

Further review on YouTube -

Operating systems: Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 7

I haven't tried this one. Sounds good though 'experienced and intuitive' applications worry me (even if they do promise they are 'non-intrusive'). It would be good to hear from any intrepid user who is running it. If it goes half-way to meeting the promise/hyperbole it could be the answer to the prayers of the more technically-challenged amongst us (definitely including this humble scribe).

As an aside, the resources devoted to anti-virus/spyware/malware on my machine are way past being a joke. The only positive slant I can come up with in my situation is that (apparently) Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware may fight with each other but, when they try, my Norton Internet Security seems to be keeping them from each other's throats. As far as I can tell from the thing that passes as an activity log in NIS these days (the only indication, other than that they all still work). Or NIS might be lying. Or I might be reading it wrong. Bottom line, I loved it more when computers, and everything that ran on them, constantly did exactly what you told them.:P

I loved it more when computers, and everything that ran on them, constantly did exactly what you told them.:P

"Windows Live Onecare" is a genuine window part and due to be renamed and released free next month (the infomercial is in link provided) It is spyware, virus, backup, system maintanence and Firewall all in one seems adequate to me

• 3 weeks later...
"Windows Live Onecare" is a genuine window part and due to be renamed and released free next month (the infomercial is in link provided) It is spyware, virus, backup, system maintanence and Firewall all in one seems adequate to me
Thanks petzl, that now seems to have happened - I've given it its own topic in the Suggested Tools and Applications forum: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10618. I guess you will now amend your sig :D

Archived