Help about administrative password!

Geralds

My young son accidentally changed the administrative password of my system’s Operating system, is there any way to re-install my operating system without the aid of a replacement disc? And one more question guys – is there any email provider who can protect my kid’s mail account from unwanted spam and Lottery messages ? He is using AOL account created by me and I’m just worrying about content which I receive through this email account. I’m looking for a well controlled email account (I mean Parental Control you know!) I don’t have problem wasting some dollars on it, Just reply if some body is using email account which can help my kid to stay connected with his friends and his relatives and can protect my Kid from this BAD WWW World.

My young son accidentally changed the administrative password of my system’s Operating system, is there any way to re-install my operating system without the aid of a replacement disc?

(snip)

I’m looking for a well controlled email account (I mean Parental Control you know!) I don’t have problem wasting some dollars on it, Just reply if some body is using email account which can help my kid to stay connected with his friends and his relatives and can protect my Kid from this BAD WWW World.

Can't help you at all on the first question.

As for the second, a lot of ISPs today (including AOL, so far as I know) have very effective filtering, but it can be compromised by the behavior of the users. You need not only to select the right ISP with good filtering, you must also make sure that your address is not used (by you & others) in ways that attract spam. Here are a couple of references that might help:

Avoiding spam: http://www.rickconner.net/spamweb/avoiding.html

Filtering spam: http://www.rickconner.net/spamweb/filtering.html

-- rick

Do a google search Windows Password Reset CD. You should be able to download a utility program that you can burn to a bootable CD. Then boot your computer with the CD, and you should be able to reset the admin password for Windows. If it seems a bit too complicated for you, you may want to take it to a local computer shop to do it for you.

If you select an alphanumeric user name (so that the 'dictionary' spammers don't guess it), such as myk1d, make sure that it is not published on the internet every so often (you need to make your child promise NOT to provide his email address to anyone - if he wants to, then he has to ask your permission), and put his junk folder on high (you can have it as high as only the people you want him to correspond with - that's called a whitelist and is available on most email clients. I don't recommend that since every once in a while your child may want to get an email from someone whom he meets. OTOH, if only the ones on his whitelist get through, you will know who your child is emailing and you won't have to be concerned about hir having to check the junk mail folder for false positives.) I changed my email address and haven't had any spam.

I haven't looked at them because I don't have children at home, but there are sections on yahoo, hotmail, and gmail on Parental Controls.

Miss Betsy

Archived