[Resolved] Email Forwarding

tomahhtoe

:( Let me apologize if this is in the wrong category, or this topic has been beaten to death.

I have forwarded spam from AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo and Comcast. They all come back saying that there was an error or that the spam message could not be found. It is not being forwarded thorugh Outlook. So I am just wondering if I should just give up on the forwarding option and just copy and paste, or is this issue going to be fixed?

Hi, tomahhtoe,

...Sorry to hear of your problem.

...In my humble opinion, you have exactly the right category and no, I don't think this question has been "beaten to death."

...Are you forwarding the spam as an attachment? That is very important for the process to work correctly.

...For further information, please see SpamCop FAQ: How do I submit spam via email? and/ or SpamCop Wiki entry HowToUseReporting.

The error message tells the tale. It shows you exactly what is being submitted.

The most common reason you get an error message is because the full headers were not present in the spam you submitted. SpamCop needs to see the entire path the message took on its way to you so it can track the spam back to the source.

Maybe these FAQs will help:

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/17.html

If your mail client supports it, using the "Forward as attachment" function to send the spam as an email attachment to your 'submit' address is the best way.

SpamCop is looking for the full headers in one contiguous block of text, followed by a blank line, which signals the end of the headers, and then followed by the body text of the spam.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Currently there is a problem with Thunderbird v3 using the forward as attachment procedure.

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=73515

When using the drag and drop approach to adding a spam as an attachment to a submit email the new version of Thunderbird does a base64 coding of the attached spam and the SpamCop front end can't read it.

Older versions of Thunderbird left the attachment in text format so the header could be read. I have not found any way to change this new "feature."

I have opened a bug report with Mozilla/Thunderbird with no response. The seem to see it at a SpamCop problem not a T-bird issue.

The work around I use is to highlight spam I want to report and then click on "Forward" (selected message); address the new message and send it to my submit address at SpamCop.

This gets the needed results of the spam being a text attachment that SpamCop can read.

...Older versions of Thunderbird left the attachment in text format so the header could be read. I have not found any way to change this new "feature."...
What is your mail.content_disposition_type setting? I don't use TB (I use SM) but like any of the Mozilla stuff you should (at least) be able to get to it through about:config (enter exactly that in browser address window, pass through dire warning). There's probably a way through some preference/options menu but maybe not. I believe the default setting will be 0 and the required setting is 1. I think 2 is another allowable setting. I don't know what 2 does but I would be trying it if 1 doesn't work. Nah, I would Google it first.

Anyway, if your setting is 0 under the about:config page you can change it there to 1 and see what happens. I guess you have to restart TB for it to take effect. This is all whitefella magic to your humble scribe, I stumble through in a state of numinous incomprehension but sometimes it works anyway. Such are miracles. Worth trying. If is works you may care to put in a cross link in the elder topic. If it doesn't I shall retire to my closet and commune some more with my rat. In the dark. If he yet lives.

...In my humble opinion, you have exactly the right category and no, I don't think this question has been "beaten to death."

...Are you forwarding the spam as an attachment? That is very important for the process to work correctly.

...For further information, please see SpamCop FAQ: How do I submit spam via email? and/ or SpamCop Wiki entry HowToUseReporting.

Thank you! I figured out how to forward it as an attachment and it works now. Thank you all for the fast response. :)

Archived