External Pop account not being despammed

I entered details of my email with account with eircom.net into the Options, External POP server function on the email system and mail is being correctly forwarded to my spamcop account but no spam is being removed (as far as I can see). Have I misunderstood, not set something up correctly?

spam growing daily so would love to block some more of it!

Thanks.

Phoebe.

I don't use the e-mail side of the hopuse, so I may not be doing you a service here, but ...

As I understand it, you have SpamCop POPing your ISP account .. which places your e-mail on the SpamCop system. From what others have said,m any and all filrtering doesn't occur until you log into your SpamCop e-mail account ... this is based on folks complaining of login issues, timeouts, etc. ... symptoms of a SpamCop e-mail folder being too full ...

Given this background, if you're not seeing any filtering at all, have you gone into your Preferences and turned on any filtering? In terms of SpamCop, "filtering" for the most part means "moved from InBox to Held folder" .... Any help?

From what others have said, any and all filtering doesn't occur until you log into your SpamCop e-mail account ... this is based on folks complaining of login issues, timeouts, etc. ... symptoms of a SpamCop e-mail folder being too full ...

Wazoo: I know you don't use the email side of things. To correct your information on this... There are 2 types of filtering (like 2 different Held Mail locations. Confusing, isn't it?).

The first are the filters that use the bl.spamcop.net and the other dnsbl's along with SpamAssasin and this filtering happens automatically if enabled, even if the mail is then forwarded to another server. To enable it, log into webmail, select Options, SpamCop Tools, Select your email filtering blacklists. Check the dnsbl's and SpamAssasin settings you want and/or the Block All or Tag Only switches as wanted.

The second filters are for moving messages around while in webmail and those only work when you are logged into the webmail application. You can do things like discard all of the spamcop confirmations or move all of the message from Aunt Linda to the inbox (after whitelisting her address). You can access these filters by a Filters button at the top of the page or Options, Filters.

Thanks again, Steven .. appreciated here (and more appreciated by the OP, I'm sure) ... Somehow I'm going to have to gether up all your explanations and try to gen up this apparently much needed FAQ for filtering ... (the lounge question a while back didn't seem to get much fire for some reason <g> .... Thanks again.

That sounds close enough to "ain't no way I'm writing it" that I won't even ask <g>

On the other hand, I see that JT popped Julian's mail-host thing to it's own section, and if/when he sets up moderators there (maybe a Julian decision also) .. it looks like I might be busy for a bit trying to rearrange that beast <g>

Archived