[Resolved] Unable to POP any external accounts

At this point, issue seems to only exist for you. Although I saw your Post shortly after you made it, I was waiting for some kind of 'ne too' follow-up. As it hasn't appened, .....

I was going to point out that there wasn't any discussion over in the newsgroups either, but that was due yo my checking spamcop.mail first, then the current 'dump everything into the' spamcop newsgroup. It was while going through the rest of them to catch up on anything new that I saw your Post into the spamcop.help newsgroup. Howecer, even though that would seem to be the wrong newsgroup, I will note that no one has replied there either. Just noting once again that references to those newsgroups (and this Forum) are still "hidden" on the Help/FAQ page so there won't be many 'new' users clmbing into either venue, expecially in the noted non-existent traffic newsgroup.

At this point, issue seems to only exist for you. Although I saw your Post shortly after you made it, I was waiting for some kind of 'ne too' follow-up. As it hasn't appened, .....

Well, what would I be able to try? I've tried deleting all of my external POP servers and added them one at a time...still getting unknown error 8 on whichever one I try to add. It's as if all of a sudden Spamcop went dead. I can access my other POP accounts fine normally, and Spamcop mail is working fine on it's own, but Spamcop simply won't POP anything else.

Well, what would I be able to try? I've tried deleting all of my external POP servers and added them one at a time...still getting unknown error 8 on whichever one I try to add.

Thanks for that additional data. Thought about suggestng it, but then assumed that you'd been around long enough that you'd have tried it already.

Hi I have the same problem, spamcop has not popped my email for some time, I get Unknown error: 24 and it has failed 454 times. I can pop it from other accounts.

Thanks for the additional Post.

I've tried calling JT a couple of times today, but no luck getting hold of him. Borg registered here with a spamcop.net e-mail account, so I have some data to send upstream. What I'd like to receive via PM would be ChrisC's spamcop/cesmail.net account, and the Domains of the other accounts trying to be POP'd ..... I want to pass on as much data as I can to make it easier to find things in the logs, if nexessary.

Although I note that it is Sunday here, it seems unusual that there aren't more complaints if this is actually a system problem, especially when the "last couple of days" and "for some time" get factored in. Historically, even the minute or two that it takes to re-boot one of those systems is enough to get folks Posting about "problems."

JT's support guy is out of town for the weekend, so there is no help there. Back Tuesday, I think.

I don't see this problem as system-wide, though, because I'm pretty sure the Deputies and I both would be getting email about it if it was, and that hasn't happened.

I have no idea what errors 8 or 24 might mean. All very strange.

The only lame idea I can think of is maybe call your ISP and see if they can shed any light. Or forward the account to SpamCop instead of trying to get SpamCop to POP it for you.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

The only lame idea I can think of is maybe call your ISP and see if they can shed any light. Or forward the account to SpamCop instead of trying to get SpamCop to POP it for you.

Not sure what my ISP would have to do with it...I can POP directly into all my accounts just fine with Thunderbird, it's just Spamcop that can't POP in. My external POP accounts are a mix of Godaddy, Gmail, Hotmail, AOL, and SBC Global addresses, so I can't imagine all of them have the exact same problem at the exact same time.

PM has been sent. FYI as this has been going on for over a week for me (I have been away, so could not see it had gone wrong, onlly found out on my return and a number of expected emails were not there) I called my ISP and they cannot see any problem. This was confirmed by me POPing it from other third party accounts, which worked fine.

I'll post if this is resolved, either by skill or magic :)

Regards

ChrisC

Problem seem to be back, with a vengance!!

I had problems since Friday, but just kept waiting it out...

(Reason: I had problems earlier in the week and they cleared themselves)

It is appearing that SPAMCOP is unable to 'pop' Yahoo servers...

At first it was various error codes including "Unknown error"....

Now I have getting "cannot contact server"

It appears there is something broke on one end or the other....

I would like to point fingers [at] Yahoo, but I have other family members that 'pop' Yahoo servers fine, from within OUTLOOK.

Is it possible that the SMAPCOP server(s) and or process(es) need to be restarted?

Thanks!

I will also send a note to SERVICE Ca

• 2 weeks later...
Still a problem for me I'm afraid to say, no sign of any change.

I've only had one response, in that the 'support person' was going to bump this up to JT ... and a note that any updates would be provided here. I've not received anything from JT in quite a while, so I can't offer any updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in to see if there's any status update from the users involved. Nothing from the 'e-mail support' person, nothing from JT .. but also no further traffic here or in the newsgroups .... wondering if this is to be tagged as Resolved (with no explanation) or not.

Just checking in to see if there's any status update from the users involved. Nothing from the 'e-mail support' person, nothing from JT .. but also no further traffic here or in the newsgroups .... wondering if this is to be tagged as Resolved (with no explanation) or not.

I would vote to tag it as closed for now... I have not seen any re-occurances in the last 2 weekends.

Also some digging seems to indicate Yahoo was screwing around (aka planned changes) with their server and email farms...

I would vote to tag it as closed for now... I have not seen any re-occurances in the last 2 weekends.

Also some digging seems to indicate Yahoo was screwing around (aka planned changes) with their server and email farms...

Thanks xzr1tv, that's good enough for me.

We did a bunch of poking around but found nothing that indicated what was happening or indeed that anything bad had happened on the mailservers. We are keeping an eye on the system of course, but at this time have nothing to point at.

~~~email support person ~~~

Archived