[Resolved] SC webmail broken/down?

Yep, same here. Just saw some old messages arrive. Hours old, but they're coming in.

Yay.

Seems to be fixed. I'm able to login to webmail + POP and IMAP are working. Just waiting for old mail to arrive.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Referenced Post over in the newsgroups was about the 'news' server, handling the newsgroups .... and strangely enough, as I found out yesterday, the origina;/official FAQ.

I have been out of the house for quite a while trying to deal with the fallout of an attempted suicide by a family member.

No, I've not seen any PMs yet, jumped right into the Forum sevtions noting that so many had new traffic, graphic was missing, figured it had to be bad.

I saw that the e-mail-support person was logged in, even in this Topic, when I got here. Can't come up with a reason that there was no Post made by him/her.

Yes, I tried calling JT. Left a rather long voice-mail message. Off now to see if I can start checking some other things, but yes, the error message indicates that incoming traffic is making it to at least one server, but the actual internal network is down within the datacenter, specifically, the systems providing the the core apps aren't happy right now.

The mail system is back up and operational. It was a database related problem which Jeff took care of. No mail was lost altho there is a backup in the queues so it may take a short while before everything gets processed.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

email_support

The mail system is back up and operational. It was a database related problem which Jeff took care of. No mail was lost altho there is a backup in the queues so it may take a short while before everything gets processed.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks for fixing this.

However, a series of notifications certainly was in order for a service outage of this magnitude. So, in the future, can you please:

1) post announcements as soon as you are aware, or are made aware, of a problem?

2) post updates on at least an hourly basis thereafter?

I'd certainly appreciate a reply.

Thanks.

Thanks for the update. The Announcements Topic has been updated, to include the 'Resolved' tag. Now off to the newsgroups.

Hallelujah and THANKS for the help in fixing this.

What djdevine says goes for me too though. There are times when some kind of notice is vital, really. Please do not leave us hanging again, thanks.

Thanks for fixing this.

However, a series of notifications certainly was in order for a service outage of this magnitude. So, in the future, can you please:

1) post announcements as soon as you are aware, or are made aware, of a problem?

2) post updates on at least an hourly basis thereafter?

I'd certainly appreciate a reply.

Thanks.

Hallelujah and THANKS for the help in fixing this.

What djdevine says goes for me too though. There are times when some kind of notice is vital, really. Please do not leave us hanging again, thanks.

And me as well. I have been a paying customer with SpamCop for over 12 years and rely on it as my sole email service.

Thank you

Eileen

And me as well. I have been a paying customer with SpamCop for over 12 years and rely on it as my sole email service.

I understand everyone's frustration about this but unfortunately I was not around from noon til around 5 or 5:30 and thusly was unaware there was a problem. As soon as I was made aware of the problem I started to investigate. The investigation and then solution were in close proximity timewise. Had I known sooner I would, of course, have put up a news update and posted here.

Again apologies for the inconvenience.

email_support

Is the backlog still being processed and is the backlog not necessarily addressed in chronological order? I seem to still be missing a lot of list emails from today.

If it's working (which are assured that ir is) then the processes are still working. As you make no note of how you've got things configured, there is no way to try to pinpoint your answer.

If you have this account POPing your other accounts, then many things come into play. Assuming the last commented 15-minute cycle, then approximatrly every 15 minutes or so, your other e-mail account is accessed. Some traffic flows. Now we get into the quantity and size of the e-mails involved. Worst case, only a portion of your e-mail from the other system gets pulled down before the connection is dropped so as to move on to the next account-holder's e-mail actions. Which e-mails get pulled are probably based on how that other server offers them, one could assume that in most cases, it might be the most recent e-mails first.

If you have your other accounts forwarding to this account, then there might be issues due it being down for so long, and the other server has 'handled' the situation somehow. Perhaps simply deciding that the Domain no longer existed and stopped trying to send, perhaps by putting some time-delay on the sending actions before gettng around to trying again, perhaps sitting there with yet another e-mail advising you to 'do something' to clear up the situation.

Just a couple of possible scenarios tossed out, trying to work with no data provided.

In the 21st century, server admins can generally receive automated text messages on their phones when bad stuff happens. That way, they're notified almost instantly. Perhaps JT could implement something like that for you, "email support"?

DT

In the 21st century, server admins can generally receive automated text messages on their phones when bad stuff happens. That way, they're notified almost instantly. Perhaps JT could implement something like that for you, "email support"?

alternatively, if you just post your cell phone number here, we'll be happy to give you a call when the building is on fire. :unsure:

Is the backlog still being processed and is the backlog not necessarily addressed in chronological order? I seem to still be missing a lot of list emails from today.

If it's working (which are assured that ir is) then the processes are still working. As you make no note of how you've got things configured, there is no way to try to pinpoint your answer.

If you have this account POPing your other accounts, then many things come into play. Assuming the last commented 15-minute cycle, then approximatrly every 15 minutes or so, your other e-mail account is accessed. Some traffic flows. Now we get into the quantity and size of the e-mails involved. Worst case, only a portion of your e-mail from the other system gets pulled down before the connection is dropped so as to move on to the next account-holder's e-mail actions. Which e-mails get pulled are probably based on how that other server offers them, one could assume that in most cases, it might be the most recent e-mails first.

If you have your other accounts forwarding to this account, then there might be issues due it being down for so long, and the other server has 'handled' the situation somehow. Perhaps simply deciding that the Domain no longer existed and stopped trying to send, perhaps by putting some time-delay on the sending actions before gettng around to trying again, perhaps sitting there with yet another e-mail advising you to 'do something' to clear up the situation.

Just a couple of possible scenarios tossed out, trying to work with no data provided.

I'm sorry, I neglected to detail any fancy setups because there are none, I use webmail directly. Anyway, the messages are finally there this morning so the answer was yes, the backfill was still happening and they were not showing up in chronological order.

I'm sorry, I neglected to detail any fancy setups because there are none, I use webmail directly. Anyway, the messages are finally there this morning so the answer was yes, the backfill was still happening and they were not showing up in chronological order.

Thanks for the follow-up. The fuess then would be similar to the second offered scenario, however dealing with other servers sending you the e-mail ... the 'chronological order' would actually end up being based on the delays times those other Hosts have their systems set for re-tryng the 'send' action.

Yes that system exists and has existed for years -- however this outage essentially took down the monitoring system also. As soon as I heard about the outage I tried to access the monitoring system to see if I could pinpoint the problem area and never could get it to respond.

alternatively, if you just post your cell phone number here, we'll be happy to give you a call when the building is on fire. :unsure:

<sarcasm> Ah what a wonderful idea, why didn't I think of that! </sarcasm>

<sarcasm> Ah what a wonderful idea, why didn't I think of that! </sarcasm>

I do understand the level of frustration when a vital recourse is lost. But I also agree that making your phone number public would be the end of life as you know it.

Yes that system exists and has existed for years -- however this outage essentially took down the monitoring system also.

Bummer. Thanks for sharing that detail--no system is really "fail safe" so it's good to know you were doing the best you could to resolve things.

Peace,

David T

Archived