[Resolved] reporting logins timeout???

mrmaxx

I keep having to re-login to the reporting website (mailsc.spamcop.net) to check my held mail and report it. I know it didn't used to do this. I used to be able to keep a tab open to the "held mail" reporting page and refresh it to report the last bunch of messages that were caught, but recently it's started telling me I need to login again to report. When did this change and why? Is there any way to change back or is it mandatory that we re-login every couple hours for some technical reason?

As I recall there are two login options. One offers an option to set the login cookie for up to 12 months. The other defaults to 2 hours.

Ahh... you are correct! Thanks. I'd forgotten about that. Maybe now it'll keep me logged in. :-)

Ahh... you are correct! Thanks. I'd forgotten about that. Maybe now it'll keep me logged in. :-)
Thanks mrmaxx and especially Andrew for nominating the cause - apparently the previously-applied but forgotten long-term cookie had simply expired. On reflection, I seem to recall this one arising periodically in the past. Marking resolved.

When did this change and why? Is there any way to change back or is it mandatory that we re-login every couple hours for some technical reason?

I am still running around, more than a bit confused. Yes, the answer offered is the soluton. However, how to get there (and how the settings changed for the Topic-starter) have had me looping around for quite a while.

First of all, only now do I notice that I never generated a link at the top of the page to go to the e-mail-account-holders-only VER interface page. Wondering why no one jumped me on that in all these years. Will get around to that, but that's where things got stranger.

I went to the mailsc page. Although this 'set-time-length' thing ws in my head, I just punched in the data to login. Now I'm a bit lost. I can't find a cookie for this page on this system. That then led me to notice that there isn't a log-out option on this page either. So basically, I've not figured out how to somehow unload the credentials at this point to try to re-login again to that specific web-page. Weird, weird.

So, I'm going to start with that as the mailsc page is an off-shoot (with the attendant hacked code to reach over to the Held Folder on the e-mail system) of the www page, I'll go with that the credentials used are those generated by logging in/out of the www page, which does include the drop-down setting for the desired time-length of the cookie permanence. (At this point, noting that trying to hit the members page has a different reaction to the login method/mode which doesn't seem to pull in this time-selection thing .. but then again, I'm still looping around a bit.)

I am still running around, more than a bit confused. Yes, the answer offered is the soluton. However, how to get there (and how the settings changed for the Topic-starter) have had me looping around for quite a while.

First of all, only now do I notice that I never generated a link at the top of the page to go to the e-mail-account-holders-only VER interface page. Wondering why no one jumped me on that in all these years. Will get around to that, but that's where things got stranger.

I went to the mailsc page. Although this 'set-time-length' thing ws in my head, I just punched in the data to login. Now I'm a bit lost. I can't find a cookie for this page on this system. That then led me to notice that there isn't a log-out option on this page either. So basically, I've not figured out how to somehow unload the credentials at this point to try to re-login again to that specific web-page. Weird, weird.

So, I'm going to start with that as the mailsc page is an off-shoot (with the attendant hacked code to reach over to the Held Folder on the e-mail system) of the www page, I'll go with that the credentials used are those generated by logging in/out of the www page, which does include the drop-down setting for the desired time-length of the cookie permanence. (At this point, noting that trying to hit the members page has a different reaction to the login method/mode which doesn't seem to pull in this time-selection thing .. but then again, I'm still looping around a bit.)

There are basically two places one can login on the MAILSC page. One just logs you in with a session cookie and one gives you the option of logging in for a session, for a day, for a week, etc. Apparently I had logged in for a year and now the cookie has expired. :) Now that I have signed in for another year, I probably won't ask about this again for another year. :)

Best giess at what happened ...???

The timeframe passed, assuming the "12-month" selection.

The only place that this can be reset to that same length is via the www.spamcop.net page, using the 'login' button. The mailsc and members pages use a simple authentation code, but doesn't write out or use the same data in the cookies set. However, they will use the data found within the/an existing cookie, if still valid. Near as I can figure (not having access to the code involved) the only place that 12-month bit can be set/re-set is from the www page via the login button and that following screen, using the drop-down selection. Mostly cleared up for me at this point, but it does seem like there needs to be a FAQ-type description put somewhere ... just not even sure what to title it at the moment.

First of all, only now do I notice that I never generated a link at the top of the page to go to the e-mail-account-holders-only VER interface page. Wondering why no one jumped me on that in all these years. Will get around to that,

Added under the WebMail drop-down selection list.

Added under the WebMail drop-down selection list.

Thanks, Wazoo, Farelf and Agsteele for helping me with this little mystery. :blush: I promise not to bother you with this silly question again for another year. ;)

Archived