Suggestion for Spamcop scripts

markj99

I hope this is the correct venue for a "suggestion" for the spamcop scri_pt writers, but here is where I shall post it, since I can't find a better place. Or easier.

1) A "meta-suggestion": Since Julian sold his interest in SpamCop (BTW: Way to go, Julian!), I don't know if the new owners care, but if they're interested in ideas, it might behoove them to make it easier for casual users to make suggestions. Though unlikely, some of us might have a good idea. :-)

I really hate spam, but just BARELY had the interest to go through the gyrations of registering for this forum, and all that entails, just to make a suggestion!

2) The actual suggestion: More and more spam that's sent to advertise a web site uses a re-directed link to the real web site, so that SpamCop (or for that matter, manual trace methods) will report a throw-away web site, leaving the real one to carry on. Perhaps there should be an option for loading links in the spam to check for re-direction and handle it correctly.

Meanwhile, what I do is I load up the links in the spam, and see if any or all gets redirected. If so, I paste the destination links into the page source, so it gets tracked via the spamcop scripts.

That's my 2 cents for today.

Cheers.

I really hate spam, but just BARELY had the interest to go through the gyrations of registering for this forum, and all that entails, just to make a suggestion!

newsgroups haven't disappeared yet ... news://news.spamcop.net is the server

Julian sold his interest in SpamCop ... Perhaps there should be an option for loading links in the spam to check for re-direction and handle it correctly.

Julian is still whacking code, (IronPort actually has a different focus) and based on that, I'm not sure this will be added (going the how many times it's been "suggested" over the years ... think it fits right in there with activating [java]scri_pt files and such ... system resources, time, etc.)

Don't have time now to find out how you access it (on the opening spamcop web page?), but there is a survey for suggestions.

Miss Betsy

Can tell you that on the free reporting page, it's no longer available.

I think it is a great suggestion

More and more spam that's sent to advertise a web site uses a re-directed link to the real web site, so that SpamCop (or for that matter, manual trace methods) will report a throw-away web site, leaving the real one to carry on. Perhaps there should be an option for loading links in the spam to check for re-direction and handle it correctly.

Archived