Provider asking for email address

marc1

I was contacted by a provider saying their downstream user disputes my spam report. They want my email address so that their user can provide sign up info.

Has anyone else gotten one of these? Any suggestions?

It would be great to see some sign up info, but wondering if they will abuse the request and simply send me more spam.

I was contacted by a provider saying their downstream user disputes my spam report. They want my email address so that their user can provide sign up info.

More likely use the address for list-washing.

I'd ignore the request.

Andrew

People often get requests for the recipient email address. Some providers use it to test their customer, and others simply provide it to the sender so he can remove the address. I have never been able to buy into the idea that providing the address will generate more spam. After all, the spammer already has your address.

If you will send me the SpamCop report number, I can probably tell you which way to go. Maybe.

Email me directly at: service[at]admin.spamcop.net

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3988444599z5...2aaa9104b871eaz

You can use that link to review the email at issue. The "View entire message" link will show you the full headers and text.

Subject: Save on Trusted Brands with DirectBuy!

You are the only one reporting the traffic, so my first reaction is to wonder if you signed up for it.

They don't look like evil spammers to me, so I think it will be safe to correspond with whoever is writing to you. No promises.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

you have a dataprotection law probably that allows you to expect a full response to a request for any and all information they hold on you. - specifically when you 'signed up', the ip address used etc.

if you can rule out (with high probability):

a. They may have got address from a third party who you allowed to share your address with other companies

b. you signed up for the email

then you have been spammed and should avail of these spammer guys the false customer care they are offering to the fullest extent untill they can prove that it was an optin email.

You may find that the dispute is merely for their isp's benefit - not yours.

Since they have your email address, they will need very little time to provide the information requested, and need no further information from you. Your dataprotection laws may have a schedule for response times- if violated then you have clear recorse to take further action.

(I have not really looked at information about the ips or the websites/companies)

HTH

They provided a first name, last name, mailing address, a website, IP address and date. None of which are related to me.

My wife has a person with her name regularly using my wife's gmail.com address. I have gotten her name, address, phone number, partial cc information, etc forwarded to our spamcop account. I actually called her and found she sometimes forgets the number she has in her gmail address. I am regularly contacting her contacts and asking them to stop using my wife's address.

I have a similar problem with a person with my name in Georgia, though this was caused by friends of his trying to find him and finding my yahoo.com address. I have been invited to many parties in the GA area, though I am never close enough to show up and prove I am not the person they think I am. One of the friends even challenged that I must be mistaken that I did not know them :)

That is one problem with being an ealry adopter and getting addresses with just our names, no numbers needed when started, not reccomended now.

well taking a look at the address in the email : http://belabornon.com/

I found no way of signing up for their email. I wanted to check if it was double optin. The site seems it is a directory of affilate/advertising links.

I think its a bogus response from the culprit, and that they were guilty of sending you unsolicited commercial email.(though with the caveat that I do not have all the facts)

Archived