MailHost "add" failed due to greylisting by MX host

I attempted to add a mailhost to my profile, however, SpamCop reported that the process failed because the MX host for the destination domain rejected the message. The MX server returned a 4xx error code and an error message which indicated that the message was rejected due to greylisting and should be retried later. The fact that the SMTP error code and message text were returned to the web application in real time leads me to doubt that the message will be queued and retried. Essentially, this means that a SpamCop user cannot add a mailhost which is configured to use greylisting. I find that somewhat ironic, given the fact that the SpamCop email service uses greylisting.

You are correct about SpamCop only trying to deliver a configuration email once.

The way to get around greylisting, which is becoming more and more common, is to keep trying until the receiving system accepts the email. It can take several, or even many tries before the receiving system sees the same IP trying to deliver the email.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

I find that somewhat ironic, given the fact that the SpamCop email service uses greylisting.

For the record, sc users employ greylisting on an individual basis. The default mode upon signing up is "off."

• 9 months later...

Do I get this right:

(1) My account was disabled and I was asked by email to register my mailhosts

(2) I try to register my mailhosts but grey listing is used --> so I can't register them

(3) And the best part of the story is, that Spamcop also uses greylisting yet makes it impossible for other users to use it?

Moderator Edit: Graphics removed.

(3) And the best part of the story is, that Spamcop also uses greylisting yet makes it impossible for other users to use it?

Based on Registration data, having to make a terrible assumption about a possible language issue.

When coming into this Forum section, one sees;

Pinned: Mailhost Issues - please read before posting

Please Read BEFORE Posting

This Topic provides one method to possibly resolve the issue.

Don's (linear) Post #2 in this very Topic suggests yet another possible work-around.

So the question now would be ..... was either method tried thus far?

(1) My account was disabled and I was asked by email to register my mailhosts

(2) I try to register my mailhosts but grey listing is used --> so I can't register them

(3) And the best part of the story is, that Spamcop also uses greylisting yet makes it impossible for other users to use

SC Email and SCBL are service provided by separate businesses. The availability of grey-listing is offered by the Email company but mailhosts are part of the reporting side. Confusing to have two organisations branded with the same brand but operating independently.

As noted, Don suggests a functional way around. Send the request a couple of times and grey-listing should let the message through on the second or third attempt.

If that is too much hassle then feel free to stop reporting. We all appreciate reports but understand that life is too short to get bogged down with time consuming inconvenience.

Andrew

Archived