[Resolved] How to change my reporting address

Somehow a virus got ahold of my thunderbird address book and is now sending emails to all addresses there including the address I use for reporting to spamcop. Is there any way to change the address to something else? The reason I ask is because multiple times a day I get email errors coming from spamcop.

Hi, mikerobinson,

...Sorry to hear of your problem.

...I have to admit to being confused by your question. If you are asking whether you can change the e-mail account for which you are reporting spam, I don't think there's any way to do that. However, you can simply sign up to report spam for a different e-mail account in addition to the one whose spam you are reporting now. Just use a different "Display Name" and, of course, enter the new e-mail address. You would start here to do that: http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml. Or are you talking about the e-mail address to which you send your spam via e-mail for parsing by SpamCop? Or the e-mail address to which your parse replies are returned? If it's one of the latter two, you can change those by logging into http://www.spamcop.net/, then clicking the "Preferences" tab, then clicking the link labeled "Change Email address or name."

...What is especially confusing to me is your statement that you "get email errors coming from spamcop." Can you provide a brief quote of the error message (the best way to do that is probably to submit the error e-mail to the SpamCop parser, then posting the Tracking Link here, then canceling the report)? Are you sure it's coming from SpamCop (spamcop.net) as opposed to from somewhere else with an alleged "From address" of SpamCop or simple text claiming that it is from SpamCop? Thanks! :) <g>

...The reason I ask is because multiple times a day I get email errors coming from spamcop.
Sounds like your secret submission address has been/might have been intercepted? - the one like submit.16RandomA/NChars[at]spam.spamcop.net? Can you confirm that? (it might not be apparent from a tracking URL which would ordinarily have the address munged but it should be visible to you - don't post the actual address anywhere anyway). If that is the actual problem you need to
  1. be very sure you have cleaned any malware infection from your PC (there would be few possibilities in that scenario apart from your computer being compromised AFAICS)
  2. write to SpamCop Admin at service[at]admin.spamcop.net to get a new submission address and have the old one killed when confident

Having said all of that, it is not particularly likely - but needs to be addressed with some urgency if it is the case.

Hi turetzsr,

Sorry for the confusing question. I need to change the spamcop.net address that I report spam to or close my account. Since I sent reports to that before and the virus got my address book, the spammers are also sending emails to the same address and I am getting an auto reply back from Spamcop with the following text:

"SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

Message forwarded in html wrapper."

I tried what you mentioned above, but that only allows me to change the address that the reports are sent to, not the address to which I send my spam via email for parsing by SpamCop.

Sounds like your secret submission address has been intercepted? - the one like submit.16RandomA/NChars[at]spam.spamcop.net? Can you confirm that (it might not be apparent from a tracking URL which would ordinarily have the address munged but it should be visible to you). If that is the actual problem you need to

1. be very sure you have cleaned any malware infection from your PC (there would be few possibilities in that scenario apart from your computer being compromised AFAICS)
  2. write to SpamCop Admin at service[at]admin.spamcop.net to get a new address and have the old one killed when confident

Thanks, this is exactly what I need. I figured out how my address book got stolen and it was my own mistake but a virus from a remote computer picked it up. I definitely don't have any malware infection on my PC.

Archived