[Resolved] My Host says I reported myself

paul.hunt

My domain host (HostGator) says that somebody spoofed my email address and that I reported myself through SpamCop. If I cannot resolve this, they will no longer allow me to forward my email to SpamCop.

They claim SpamCop did not provide them with a reporting ID but they have provided with "logs of this email transaction" as well as "The reported spam message was attached below and sanitized for reporting.

The Exim data:<snip>

The only thing I could think of doing was searching my past reports for that date and 2 days following and looking for the email subject. It wasn't there.

I thought I couldn't report myself.

Now what?

Thanks,

Paul

Sounds odd. Normally SpamCop doesn't bother to report e-mail addresses because they are pretty much always forged in spam. Would have to see more details to make sense of this (if any sense can be made). I wonder whether Hostgator's beef is really with SpamCop.net in the first place.

-- rick

Please email me your login username (email address) and all the details you have about this incident, and I will look into it for you.

Please do NOT post that information here. Email me directly at:

service[at]admin.spamcop.net

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Hi, Paul,

...Thank you for taking the time to post. I hope when there's a resolution, you'll return to let us know any details others of us users might find helpful to avoid reporting ourselves or at least to tell us that you prefer to not post any details.

No response from SpamCop as of 9 August
I have to say that is uncharacteristic - you say your host is now blocking your messages to SC. You used webmail presumably, that should be OK. Suggest you re-try - or is there another webmail account you can use? Yahoo, Hotmail, Googlemail, etc.? Don doesn't use/accept PMs from this forum on his last advice, nor does he have email forwarding enabled via the forum.

Suggest you re-try - or is there another webmail account you can use? Yahoo, Hotmail, Googlemail, etc.? Don doesn't use/accept PMs from this forum on his last advice, nor does he have email forwarding enabled via the forum.

Nope. Not blocking. They have asked me to resolve how this happened. If It happens again, I will have to disable my forwarding to SC.

I emailed him at the address he provided. I guess I will remail that.

Nope. Not blocking. They have asked me to resolve how this happened. If It happens again, I will have to disable my forwarding to SC.

I emailed him at the address he provided. I guess I will remail that.

Ok, if your "submit" address is still working then an email to Don should certainly go through as well. Thanks for the correction of my misunderstanding.

make sure your forwarding filter or whatever code you are using properly decodes the headers. It could be a bug in the software you are using, spammers took advantage of. They try to forge the headers in every way possible.

One thing you could do is to pick up headers/body of the mails and post it, using the online form instead of the automatic email forwarding. If you know/have the original emails that were incorrectly reported, use the online form and post them again and see where they point to. I believe you would see different results and not your host.

I heard from SpamCop and found the report in question (FWIW, searching for old reports could be made a lot easier by SC, IMHO). SC explained it very nicely.

It appears that the report was mishandled by the hosting company that received it (theplanet.com). They treated it as a report on the source of the spam when in fact the report they received was referring to a spamvertized site. Since my hosting company, HostGator, uses theplanet's servers, theplanet reported to HG that I had reported myself as the source of the spam.

Bottom line is that everything worked as expected at SC but that the report was subsequently mishandled.

Thanks SC,

Archived