DirectTV spam

Devilwolf

Has DirectTV ever released anything about that their policies on their affiliates spamming? Dealing with their first line consumer relations people I just get the "we didn't send you the spam, so its not our problem please contact the spammer to stop the spam."

Has DirectTV ever released anything about that their policies on their affiliates spamming? Dealing with their first line consumer relations people I just get the "we didn't send you the spam, so its not our problem please contact the spammer to stop the spam."
Current agreement includes the provision
From time to time, we may present on-screen offers or enable you to buy goods and services from us or third parties. Only if you take advantage of such an offer or engage in a transaction, will we collect and send on your behalf information such as your name and address and your interest in a specific offer or transaction to the sponsor of the promotion or transaction. In addition to fulfilling your request, that commerce partner may also use your Commerce Information to send you other information in which you might be interested consistent with its own privacy policies.
If your experience indicates they have contravened this provision or if it is misleading then you might have a beef - perhaps ultimately recourse through any "fair trade" or "better business" agency that may be applicable - but I would be surprised if they have actually left themselves exposed in that way.

Perhaps other DirectTV users have similar (or different) experiences?

The issue is not DTV spamming directly, but DTV hires affiliates who hire affiliates who spam. DTV just gives me the run around about how it is not their fault if they hire people who hire criminals, but DTV is still making a profit from its will blindness.

Since DTV seems to be a popular with spammers because of the huge commissions they pay, and DTV spam has been a problem for years. I was wondering if they have ever been called on the carpet for their willful blindness?

Since DTV seems to be a popular with spammers because of the huge commissions they pay, and DTV spam has been a problem for years. I was wondering if they have ever been called on the carpet for their willful blindness?

My initial thought one the starting Post was ..... geeze, yet another ancient situation comes arounf again. However, dusting off a few old files, contact lists, etc., it seems that I might be a bit off. A number of years back, it was the EchoStar/Dish folks that grabbed most of the attention (although I still seem to recall that both networks were included in the complaints.)

Strange ..... think we're back to the way Google et.al. are handling their archiving and the timeframe of the Posts/Topics involved. Can't seem to pull up any of the old stuff in searches .... way back when, Julian didn't care for the www. sub-Domain, so things got archived under "spamcop.net" ... however, the current search code seems to automatically add the "www." prefix, so a lot of stuff isn't 'seen' in the results. I still believe that the 'zeta' copies of the ancient newsgroup archives haven't actually been indexed, due to the "duplicate content" situation.

Anyway, I see the last time I remarked on a DirecTV situation was back in 2006 .... http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=46766

Found a VP of client relations contact buried in their website, so I've tried that.

My contract with DTV is up in Dec, so if I don't get a response I will just cancel my DTV service for another TV provider that doesn't hire as many spammers.

Here is the reply I got from Corporate regarding spamming by their affiliates - my original question is at the bottom of the email.

Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response (DIRECTV) - 08/11/2010 11:14 AM Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thanks for your recent correspondence.

DIRECTV takes your privacy very seriously. Please be aware the DIRECTV Do Not E-Mail list does not include any 3rd party dealers, which may sell DIRECTV products and equipment. If the E-mails you are receiving are from a 3rd party dealer, we suggest you contact the dealer directly to be removed from their mailing lists.

At DIRECTV we strive to provide the finest in satellite television entertainment and outstanding customer service. If you have any additional concerns, please contact us at 1-866-785-5537 between the hours of 7:30 AM and 7:30 PM MT.

Sincerely,

Theresa

DIRECTV Customer Advocate Team

Customer (Entered by DIRECTV) - 08/11/2010 10:33 AM I keep getting unsolicited spam from some of your "authorized retailers". I've tried contacting both the retailer and customer care, and I'm getting the run around.

Sending spam is a criminal offense, and I do feel that DTV is not exercising good corporate citizenship by turning a blind eye (Willful Blindness in legal terms) to the criminal actions of its authorized resellers.

I replied with an email asking them to confirm that:

I would just like to clarify then that DirecTV has no policy against its 3rd party dealers using potentially deceptive, false, or criminal advertising schemes to sell DIRECTV Products and services? Is this correct?

...I replied with an email asking them to confirm that:

I would just like to clarify then that DirecTV has no policy against its 3rd party dealers using potentially deceptive, false, or criminal advertising schemes to sell DIRECTV Products and services? Is this correct?
Nice :lol: Predicting "dignified silence" will be the response. But it would be nice if, instead, the VP you addressed actually got involved. As Wazoo's memories revealed and the 'vaults' have confirmed, they have been through this all before and finally returned to the bright side. Maybe (again) it "simply" needs more traction, for other customers to complain - but, with the amount of filtering going on these days, perhaps those are simply not receiving the third-party spam for the most part - in which case you can be sure DirecTV's competitors are following similar business plans, with remote affiliates throwing vast quantities of mostly unseen or ignored "offers" at the principal's customers. I hope not, but if so they (the third parties) are at least paying for the bandwidth they waste, unlike the 'regular' botnet-using spammers. That's something, not much, but something.

We shall see, Or you will. Please keep us updated? Maybe some other beleaguered DirecTV customers will climb on the bandwagon after all, as this progresses.

Nice :lol: Predicting "dignified silence" will be the response. But it would be nice if, instead, the VP you addressed actually got involved.

We shall see, Or you will. Please keep us updated? Maybe some other beleaguered DirecTV customers will climb on the bandwagon after all, as this progresses.

OK, I got these response, which looks like it was vetting by an army of lawyers given all the weasel words.

DIRECTV does not condone or authorize Internet marketing practices which fail to comply with applicable laws. When DIRECTV sends an email, we use an "Opt-In" process, meaning that we only send email to people who have indicated they are interested in our service, either on our website or by phone.

DIRECTV equipment is primarily leased and sold through third party, independent retail companies. DIRECTV has implemented a policy regarding Internet marketing for such retailers who market DIRECTV branded products. We have distributed the policy to these retailers and we take reasonable steps to make sure that they are aware of the existence and general requirements of Internet marketing laws, and to encourage their compliance with such laws. However, such retailers are independent companies, which operate outside the control of DIRECTV.

We understand how frustrating it can be to receive unwanted emails. The emails you are receiving from a third party dealer should have their contact information included in the email, so you will need to contact the retailer to request to be removed from their mailing lists.

I replied back asking for a copy of the "policy regarding Internet marketing"

Then got this from the company the DTV installer uses to manage their affiliate program.

Good morning,

I hope this email finds you doing well! I know you have been in contact with my company regarding several DIRECTV spam emails you have received. I am the Email Manager and I wanted to take a moment to apologize. I know this has been a frustrating experience for you. I can assure you I am working my best to fix the problem and punish the perpetrator. I have confirmed your email is on our opt-out list. This does take a few days to take effect. Below is my contact information. Please feel free to contact me with any further issues.

Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend!

Thank you,

Marjorie Gray

Marjorie Gray | [at]tridentmarketing.com

direct: 910.693.| fax: 910.401. | YAHOO:

I suspect there was either some back channel between DTV Corp and Trident that lit a fire under their asses, but as you can see from DTV email, they are still trying to claim they are not responsible for the suspected criminal actions of their 2nd level affiliates.

In general I've noticed that a lot more domestic name brand retailers are getting back into bed with spammers. I'm recently gotten spam from Matrix Direct, Simpleink.com, etc. but DTV generates the most.

Thanks DW. Just enough so nobody can say they're asleep at the wheel I guess. Oh well, it's something. Doesn't register highly on my sincerity detector though ("Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend!" indeed, bloody cheek) but I guess most of us here come across as "cranks" and everyone knows how you handle cranks - soft words and soothing tones, placate and divert and wait for their attention to wander.

I'm afraid this might be just the leading edge of the affiliate business plan and "all care, no responsibility" style of operation.

Here is their reply regarding the "marketing policy"

Response (DIRECTV) - 08/14/2010 06:37 AM Dear Mr. Falk,

Thank you for your most recent correspondence. The material distributed by DIRECTV to third party retailers is proprietary information, remains property of DIRECTV and is not available to the public.

We have an anti-spam policy, but it is secret....

I can't see any logical reason to keep the policy secret, every other affiliate marketing program I've seen has a publicly available AUP/TOS.

Well time to switch providers when the contract expires...

• 1 month later...
I started getting similar spam from ADT Home Alarm installers, and called ADT.... unlike Directv, they called me back quickly, and said that they would start a cease and desist case against the spammers' site.
That's encouraging. Thanks DW - maybe there's the occasional pocket of whitehats out there still. But actions will tell.

Archived