Configuring SpamCop when using Windows Live Mail

I have been trying to configure SpamCop as I am being blasted with spam and want to do something about it. The help section tells us how to get the headers from a list of email programs but not Windows Live Mail, even under the Microsoft section. The automatic system won't register me without returning the entire email including all header but how do I get the headers? I also find it frustrating that there is no contact to a "Real Person", I always thought that was the attitude of the spammer type.

Hi billd,

A previous topic on this was http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8722. There may be others - use the resource search at the top of forum pages.

Does anything in there help?

If not you might try contacting SC Admin (Don) at service[at]admin.spamcop.net

We do have contact details here - all over the place - but no, not highlighted and neon-signed. That just attracts spam.

I have been trying to configure SpamCop

<snip>

but not Windows Live Mail, even under the Microsoft section. The automatic system won't register me without returning the entire email including all header but how do I get the headers?

<snip>

Windows Live Mail has some similarities to Outlook Express.

Forwarding

To forward an open message with the full headers intact, click 'Actions' on the task bar and select 'Forward as attachment' from the drop down list.

To forward an unopened message directly from the Inbox list (or another folder) with the full headers intact, right click on the intended message and select 'Forward as attachment' from the context menu.

Copy/Paste

To view the full headers of an open message, click 'File' on the task bar and select 'Properties' from the drop down list, and then the 'Details' tab. To see the entire message source, click the 'Message Source' button near the bottom of the Details tab.

To view the full headers of an unopened message directly from the Inbox list (or another folder), right click on the intended message and select 'Properties' from the context menu, and then the 'Details' tab. To see the entire message source, click the 'Message Source' button near the bottom of the Details tab.

I hope one of the variations above helps your current situation. If not, just ask more questions.

I have been trying to configure SpamCop as I am being blasted with spam and want to do something about it.

Remember that you will gain no benefit from SpamCop reporting if your Email provider does not use the SCBL to identify spam.

Most free Email services do not use the SCBL (don't know about Windows Live Email) so you may want to consider before you spend too long trying to get reporting working for you. Of course if you do report it will benefit those who do make use of the SCBL - so thanks in advance for being willing to help.

Andrew

Most free Email services do not use the SCBL (don't know about Windows Live Email) so you may want to consider before you spend too long trying to get reporting working for you.
It sounds like you are referring to Window Liveâ„¢ Hotmail (the free web-based email system) rather than Windows Live Mail (the local email client). Windows Live Mail is the successor to Outlook Express, and works with various email systems using POP3/SMTP, IMAP, News Groups, etc. The OP mentioned Windows Live Mail, but now it remains to be seen if he really meant WLM or Hotmail.

Remember that you will gain no benefit from SpamCop reporting if your Email provider does not use the SCBL to identify spam.

<snip>

...But there is the satisfaction of making things just a tad bit harder for spammers. And, perhaps ultimately, helping to shut them down -- it may be rare but it has happened!

Archived