[Resolved] Run apps off a USB drive?

wonkotheinsane

Hey, guys, do you have the experience of running your daily used apps off a USB drive?

Which is I am now trying to do. But I find that only portable apps can be run like that.

As you say, some applications will do it but the majority will not (at least not on a Windows PC - other platforms may work differently).

And I'm not sure that you will find a solution other than accessing software online eg: MSOffice 2010 is, I understand, available as a web application.

Andrew

Hey, guys, do you have the experience of running your daily used apps off a USB drive?

Which is I am now trying to do. But I find that only portable apps can be run like that.

while some apps like MS office are not portably available. How can I do that?

No experience, no, but a wise old geek once pointed me to http://portableapps.com/ (clean Norton Site Safety report FWIW). I presently haven't the need so never checked it out.

Probably best to run apps designed for portable use (even free ones) but note the link to a tool which supposedly makes other apps portable. If you use the tool (or any of the other apps on that site) or even just check it all out in some detail, we would appreciate your report in due course. I'm sure others will be interested or will have comments to make, questions to ask.

[Edit] Oh, Andrew has replied in the meantime - thanks Andrew. Yes, you will see the Open Office portable suite included in the free downloads at portableapps.com - another approach to the Web-based apps which certainly makes the heavy duty spreadsheet and word-processing applications more feasible in the portable world, in a similar way to MSOffice 2010 web applications.

Thanks. guys, I considered PA and OpenOffice. But they are not exactly what I want.

Just stumbled upon Prayaya. I installed prayaya on my USB drive and then installed MS Office 2003 suite on prayaya. It seems working very well off my USB drive.

Thanks Wonko :) Marking this "resolved".

Thanks. guys, I considered PA and OpenOffice. But they are not exactly what I want.

Just stumbled upon Prayaya. I installed prayaya on my USB drive and then installed MS Office 2003 suite on prayaya. It seems working very well off my USB drive.

One can also use APPS ONLINE using your internet connetion

The other day a friend asked if I understood "cloud computing."

I asked, "Remember the days when we had to login to a mainframe to do anything?"

"Yeah," he said.

"It's the same thing."

One can also use APPS ONLINE using your internet connetion

APPS ONLINE is not the same as carrying around all your apps, including your browser and all its cache files, in your pocket.

Since you need a browser to use most of those apps the only way to minimize your footprint is to use something like Anonymizer.

And that list doesn't include zoho.com, one of the more highly rated and expansive online app suites.

Since you need a browser to use most of those apps the only way to minimize your footprint is to use something like Anonymizer.

And that list doesn't include zoho.com, one of the more highly rated and expansive online app suites.

Thanks for the zoho link

In China those I know use

http://www.skydurvpn.com/

For anonymous web use

I just use "The Bat Voyager email" on usb and "Password Depot" to logon to internet (saves carrying a laptop on travelss)

Archived