A simple e-mail improvement

markem

When I get an e-mail from Spamcop sometimes I'd like to visit the site to make sure I do/do not need to add fuel. However, Spamcop's e-mail doesn't have an active link although the first line always reads "Spamcop.net".

Could that first line be changed to be a link? So all lazy a** me has to do is to just click and then the browser will pop-up and take me here?

(Ok! You can stop laughing now. I know I'm lazy but I've also been meaning to come here for a while now to add fuel and I just thought that anything that helps to get people here to do so is a good idea.) :lol:

Could that first line be changed to be a link? So all lazy a** me has to do is to just click and then the browser will pop-up and take me here?

(Ok! You can stop laughing now. I know I'm lazy but I've also been meaning to come here for a while now to add fuel and I just thought that anything that helps to get people here to do so is a good idea.) :lol:

I wouldn't call it lazy ... but I would point out that there would be a trust issue. Having such links would actually be a very bad idea .. you , joe user, follow said link in an email ... you are asked to sign in ... then *by your own intent* you want to give *spam_cop.net* some money for their evil fighting ways..

its not until after you've gotten the dreaded "insufficient funds" at your grocery store, or been denied the sale of fuel that it dawns on you.. its "spamcop.net" not "spam_cop.net"

So.. you want to add fuel.. good for you... and I'm sure Spamcop.net would appreciate you giving them a few pennys for helping you.. just make sure it goes to spamcop.net and not spam_followed_this_url_somewhere_cop.net

;):ph34r:

• 2 months later...
In the beginning of my "[spamCop] Quick reporting data" emails, when I am out of fuel I see a link

I usually add fuel on a monthly basis because I don't know if I'm low or not - and this is a good cause. :)

As for the e-mail issue - good point. However, since the mail originates from Spamcop and since it is _not_ trying to get you to log in (ie: It only goes to the web page), and since - if you hover the mouse over the link it tells you whether or not it is Spamcop, and since - once there - you could easily look at the http line and determine if it really is Spamcop or not, and since the people who use Spamcop are a bit brighter than a cow standing out in a field; I don't think it would be a bad thing to have the link.

Also - why would spammers even want you do know about or use something that kills their business model?

(I know I take an inordinate amount of time to answer - but my job is very demanding and this weekend is the first weekend I've had off for the last couple of months. And tomorrow I drive to another city so I won't be able to respond for a while again.) :(

Spamcop kicks spammer's butt! Most of my spam now are one-timers. Now all I need is some time to write an AutoIt scri_pt to dump the log on my e-mail server and parse it for people trying to use my server without my permission. That'll kill off most of the rest of the spammers I'm getting. And I get a lot of "No relay rights" messages from spammers trying to forwards e-mail through my system.

<snip>

As for the e-mail issue - good point. However, since the mail originates from Spamcop and since it is _not_ trying to get you to log in (ie: It only goes to the web page), and since - if you hover the mouse over the link it tells you whether or not it is Spamcop, and since - once there - you could easily look at the http line and determine if it really is Spamcop or not, and since the people who use Spamcop are a bit brighter than a cow standing out in a field; I don't think it would be a bad thing to have the link.

...Good point but:
  • There are still a fair number of SpamCop users, yours truly among them, that tend to "trust" everything that comes to them that *appears* to be from SpamCop and it would be better to not tempt them/ us. :) <g>
  • It may simply be better to maintain a policy of "new hyperlinks in e-mails from SpamCop so that SpamCop users are less likely to click on links they see that appear to be from SpamCop but aren't.

Also - why would spammers even want you do know about or use something that kills their business model?

<snip>

...See "The Rules Of spam" Rule #3: "Spammers are stupid." :) <g>

Archived