Errors when reporting very large spam message

saluqi

Windows XP, OE 6, Earthlink e-mail account, etc.

I am receiving, several times daily, a 904 KB spam message whose headers include more than 13,700 lines of "cc:" addresses (about 40,000 individual addresses). I forwarded this message as attachment, using OE 6, received a "ready for processing" notice from SpamCop, and on going to the link provided found the following:

No blank line delineating headers from body - abort

Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z4564052899z3...9cd0df03c4240dz

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Add/edit your mailhost configuration

Finding full email headers

Submitting spam via email (may work better)

Example: What spam headers should look like

No body text provided, check format of submission. spam must have body text.

What I forwarded was the entire message, including headers and body text (the body text is quite short and is in HTML format). I'm not quite sure why the parser had problems with it.

I have saved the entire "message source" of one such spam message in a .txt file and could attach that instead if it would lead to a better result.

How to proceed?

Thanks,

saluqi

amitabh_pandey[at]rediffmail

[Truncated by SpamCop]

The emnail is so large that SpamCop cuts off what it can't handle, which leaves the spam without any body text, and no blank line after the headers to signal the end of the headers.

I recommend that you delete all the Cc addresses before submitting the spam for processing.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

I recommend that you delete all the Cc addresses before submitting the spam for processing.

OK, easily done.

Then submit it using the same address code as before?

Must I submit it as an .eml attachment, or will a .txt file attachment work? It's easier to delete unwanted lines in the .txt file ...

Should I delete the cc: line itself, or terminate it by removing the comma at the end?

Thanks,

saluqi

Must I submit it as an .eml attachment, or will a .txt file attachment work? It's easier to delete unwanted lines in the .txt file ...

Should I delete the cc: line itself, or terminate it by removing the comma at the end?

I would suggest you use the web interface at www.spamcop.net and simply copy the and paste the relevant text. But I don't think the file extension would make any difference if you can remove the CC lines and then attach the message.

To remove the CC lines simply delete them completely and make it as if they had never existed.

Andrew

The emnail is so large that SpamCop cuts off what it can't handle, which leaves the spam without any body text, and no blank line after the headers to signal the end of the headers.

SpamCop Wiki page http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/SCMaterialChanges updated.

• 3 months later...

Please, be specific what other I can remove from the original body on the Wiki page.

[Or, I couldn't understand if the wiki already states that since my first language is not English.]

I receved 188KB of junk data in html title header which is generated by spammer to bypass spamfilter by exceeding process limit.

I had to remove junk data in title field, but I had no idea if I'm allowed to do this.

I suggest it would be helpful to note that if any information in decoded body are intensionally increased to bypass spamfilter can be removed for reporting.

Currently, guide line allows us to remove personal information only.

CJ.

Hi, cj!

Please, be specific what other I can remove from the original body on the Wiki page.

<snip>

...Unofficial answer: the simplest thing to do is simply delete such e-mails, there is no need to report every spam you get. Yes, it would be nice if the SpamCop parser handled this situation on its own but my guess is that change is unlikely to happen any time soon, if ever.

Archived