Anyone know ThePlanet.com ???

agsteele

I was surprised to get to my computer this morning to discover a whole raft of junk Email. It's a surprise because most days if I get anything in my mailbox at all it is just one or two messages. The combinations of grey-listing, BL checks etc keeps my inbox pretty clean.

Anyway a get-rich-quick merchant has started up using various names but all the websites promoted are identical in terms of what's on offer etc.

The Emails are cleverly written and made me think twice as to whether I'd signed up for the services - which is why I took a moment to check that the website wasn't something I'd register for. Once at rev2share.com and MySuperShares.com I was under no illusion. Another scam.

A little delving shows the abuse address for all the IPs involved is abuse[at]theplanet.com

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of ThePlanet.com and whether they take a proactive/responsible approach to spam reports.

Andrew

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of ThePlanet.com and whether they take a proactive/responsible approach to spam reports.
I can't say I've gotten many mailings that came thru ThePlanet, but my impression is that they have more than their fair share of get-rich-quick websites (including some in Indonesian that a persistent crew of chickenboners keep pointing me to). The problem with the GRQ people, of course, is that the saps sending the mail are just pointing to the guru's website (possibly with an affiliate link or redirector), the guru is never seen sending the mail himself. The fact that The Planet seems to be such a reliable host for this kind of rubbish suggests that they don't move out very smartly on complaints.

-- rick

...I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of ThePlanet.com and whether they take a proactive/responsible approach to spam reports.
No personal experience but people have been complaining about ThePlanet for as long as these forums have been going and possibly in the newsgroups before that. To be fair, a hosting company is always going to take some flack - and there were instances of SC reporters misreporting their own services within the ThePlanet net allocations in the days before mailhost configuration. Net result, there may be some lack of mutual regard between SC users and ThePlanet and certainly no-one 'here' has ever praised them for being hard on spammers AFAICR.

ThePlanet? Bwaaahahahaha! ^_^

They are the most obstructive company when trying to tell one of their tech's there's a spam problem on their servers :rolleyes:

ME: You have a nasty spammer (sends IP list + blacklist references)

THEM: We can't help without firewall logs.

ME: (sends firewall logs)

THEM: Please send the Cisco or proper format from your ISP.

ME: (contacts ISP)

MY ISP TO ME: We gave up trying to deal with those [at]#$% years ago. Sorry.

Good luck!

If you say about email spam that's nothing compared to the entries in my server logs I checked every so often. There are hundreds of hack attempts originate from theplanet. Their typical response is "we received the complain we will deal with the problem".

Do an rDNS on the IP and ban/reject based on authoritative domain anything that shows theplanet.com

Archived