Quick SPF question

mikerobinson

I have my server set up with SPF records on all domains with -all on them. I still get "undelivered" emails from people who are spoof my domain name in the sender address, but are obviously not authorized due to my SPF record. Is it considered spam to send an undelivered email back to a domain that obviously denies authorization for that IP address to be sending emails?

You can use SpamCop to report the misdirected bounces you get.

However, it's important to note that you can NOT cut the spam out of the bounce and try to report it by itself. That spam is not yours and you have no way to verify that the headers are either complete or accurate.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

...Is it considered spam to send an undelivered email back to a domain that obviously denies authorization for that IP address to be sending emails?
Misdirected bounces are reportable as spam. SPF doesn't actually/necessarily come into it, from the mail administration point of view mail should not be accepted unless delivery is assured or if it is accepted then no attempt to return a non-delivery report should be made after connection with the delivering server is severed (because most traffic is spam and most spam spoofs the sender-return address).

Archived