Bounced mail

Remmy

Hi,

Since a few months, more than once I haven't been receiving confirmations on spams I sent to my reporting address. When I log in to spamcop, it shows:

Bounce error

Your email address, [xxxxx][at]webconquest.com has returned a bounce:

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Reason: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [=

Problem is... it looks like the reason above is getting cut off, so I have no idea what the problem is. Also, the logs of my mailserver show no clues as to what's going on. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Merci!

Test e-mail sent from a spamcop.net e-mail account to at least check that path. No rejection notice received thus far.

There might be some relevance in the SORBS issue raised in the discussion at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11592

Hi Wazoo,

Looks like that is what happened indeed:

Nov 11 01:41:44 sevensisters postfix/smtpd[13691]: connect from sc-smtp2-bulkmx.soma.ironport.com[204.15.82.125]

Nov 11 01:41:45 sevensisters postfix/smtpd[13691]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from sc-smtp2-bulkmx.soma.ironport.com[204.15.82.125]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [204.15.82.125] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Currently Sending spam See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?204.15.82.125; from=<spamid.4663627251[at]bounces.spamcop.net> to=<remco[at]webconquest.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<sc-smtp2-bulkmx.soma.ironport.com>

Nov 11 01:41:50 sevensisters postfix/smtpd[13691]: disconnect from sc-smtp2-bulkmx.soma.ironport.com[204.15.82.125]

Nov 11 01:42:46 sevensisters postfix/smtpd[13724]: connect from sc-smtp5-inbound.soma.ironport.com[204.15.82.71]

Nov 11 01:42:47 sevensisters postfix/smtpd[13724]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from sc-smtp5-inbound.soma.ironport.com[204.15.82.71]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [204.15.82.71] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Currently Sending spam See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?204.15.82.71; from=<5302042743.97fdbd9a[at]bounces.spamcop.net> to=<spamcop[at]webconquest.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<sc-smtp5-inbound.soma.ironport.com>

Hopefully this can be worked out between sorbs and spamcop. Alternatively, I probably should start scoring on sorbs instead of taking it as gospel, but the current setup has greatly reduced the number of spam I've been getting in recent years.

Note that I've had similar things happen in September and October.

Thanks,

Remco

Surprised to see sc-smtp5-inbound.soma.ironport.com SORBS listed for "Currently sending spam", just going by the server name, but then sc-smtp9-inbound.soma.ironport.com is similarly listed. Apparently those do send mail to the "outside".

Ah well, I guess Don knows all about it and is doing all that can be done.

...Note that I've had similar things happen in September and October. ...
Hmmm ... got all excited for a moment thinking this possibly helps explain why we occasionally get groups of forum registrations hung up in validating. Well, most of those seem to be spambots but some are undoubtedly legitimate intending members/contributors who have not received their validation e-mails or who have had those messages go to their junk folders un-noticed.

But no, messages from the forum seem to use a different server, one from the cesmail domain that is not publicly blocked by anyone currently (so the few recent/current hung registrations are not due to public bl actions). Just in case the thought occurred to anyone else.

Yep!

Getting more and more frustrated by the minute.

And still not fixed :-(

Nov 17 10:52:10 sevensisters postfix/smtpd[11582]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from sc-smtp2-bulkmx.soma.ironport.com[204.15.82.125]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [204.15.82.125] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Currently Sending spam See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?204.15.82.125; from=<spamid.4679817236[at]bounces.spamcop.net>

Thanks for your efforts and hard work though.

And still not fixed :-( ...
Darn ... that's because the server is still hitting one or more of the SORBS spamtraps - could be reports, as Don mentioned recently in another topic (the listing evidence mentions SC links + the usual Russian spamvertized sites). Noticed the boss of SORBS reading here a day or so ago - hopeful it was about to be sorted but I guess she won't be taking SC IP addresses off the list while they're still hitting her traps (or until she's convinced the traps are compromised but how would that work if they're registered reporting addresses?). Don will keep at it until it's fixed, we can be sure.

Archived