Spammer make me feel "special"

Lking

I have always been in the camp that believed Rule #3: Spammers are stupid. I noticed today that two spam were personal. Near the end of the spams are the following links

href="http://pfizer.com.tapes.doctorjga.ru"

href="http://pfizer.com.lking.todoctorj.ru"

and of course the spam was addressed to tapes[at]xxxx.com and lking[at]xxxx.com

Not sure I feel special. Never thought their spam list would be that short.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z4837262293z6...dfaacae9a77747z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z4837262290z6...706bf290fe9616z

...Not sure I feel special. Never thought their spam list would be that short. ...
I'm sure the list is extensive Lou, "custom" spam is just like a "mail merge" exercise with a word processor or editor application - pretty sure also that the subdomains feature is available from many/all hosts and it is really just a minor matter to automate their production in co-ordination with the custom spam. vline.ru should be well aware that some sort of a spamming operation is going on and that it involves elements of trademark-product piracy.

Anyone feeling a little outraged by such behavior can "call in the big guns" -

http://www.ice.gov/iprcenter/iprreferral.htm

Not sure how much good that would do - but it can't do any harm. Fake pharms kill.

Puzzling...I can understand how this is done, but not why. Doesn't seem that this would be a very efficient way to confirm responses from recipients from webserver log data

(since there'd be a lot of "jsmith" addresses, for example). Using a "funny number" (hex string or database key) would be the better plan, and would attract less attention to boot.

Years ago, I used to get spammed by one clown who actually used my e-mail address spelled backward as a key. He probably got quite a kick out of such superior net-ninja skills.

-- rick

My first thought was that the next part, tapes.doctorjga.ru, lking.todoctorj.ru, made the difference between all the "jsmiths" but the two addresses are in the same domain. Just seems like too much effort for pinnies on the dollar.

But hay if it lets them wash me from their list as a reporter that would be good too! Again "too much effort for pinnies on the dollar" and I've seen no evidence that any of them do.

Maybe they were board, maybe they tried something new and screwed it up (rule #3). For me just something odd on a slow day.

"too much effort for pinnies on the dollar" I have no idea what that means :blush: "Pennies in the dollar" perhaps? Sorta makes sense in context.

Pinnies used to be short for pinafores - but does anyone wear pinafores any more? Well, I suppose maids might, just don't see those around here. But there's an establishment down the road where (I am lead to believe) the girls might wear anything you care to name. Maybe.

I vaguely recall one of Donald Duck's relatives referring to his pin feathers as his "pinnies" ('bout 1952 or so, I recall no further detail but suppose it was something to do with battle damage in some form of aerial combat - we were pretty "martial" back then).

Back when I subscribed to Harper's magazine, there was always an ad in the back for an establishment called (if I recall correctly) "The Naughty Victorian" which either specialized in administering corporal punishment for those desiring it, or else they sold paraphernalia for same (don't know which). It stuck in my mind because their mailing address was just a couple miles from my office, and I must have driven by it numerous times, but it was not a storefront business apparently (more discreet that way, I guess).

-- rick

"too much effort for pinnies on the dollar" I have no idea what that means :blush: "Pennies in the dollar" perhaps? Sorta makes sense in context.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You guessed right. One of the many unfortunate teachers that tried to drive English spelling into my head accused me of taking 'English as a second language,' and that was not what she was teaching!

All my life those that spell correctly tell me they "see" the word. I've noticed that most of them don't "see" numbers or are able to see and rotate 3D shapes. I had to give up on Boy Scouts and ham radio because I couldn't get past the Morse code tests - If you can't spell it you can't send it.

Life is such a bother. Thanks for the correction.

"For pennies on the dollar" = Buy (or sell) at a low relative price vs. the original cost or worth. It might be a phrase used only in the US.

Life is such a bother. Thanks for the correction.
;) There were two more words that were spelled right, but were the wrong word:

"But hay if it lets them wash me from their list..."

Hay = animal feed

Hey = an interjection

"Maybe they were board..."

Board = a piece of lumber

Bored = not interested in something or having nothing to do

I wouldn't worry about "variant" spellings when there are worse crimes against the language perpetrated daily and on a massive scale (by most of those who speak and write it).

Like "trolling" used for "trawling" as in "I trolled the internet for clues." Well then, epic fail.

And the unwarranted optimism in "try and" as in "I will try and become Emperor of the Universe," when what is meant is "try to". Good luck with that.

Etc. ....

<snip>

there are worse crimes against the language perpetrated daily and on a massive scale (by most of those who speak and write it).

Like "trolling" used for "trawling" as in "I trolled the internet for clues." Well then, epic fail.

And the unwarranted optimism in "try and" as in "I will try and become Emperor of the Universe," when what is meant is "try to". Good luck with that.

Etc. ....

...Ya had to get me started! :) Fortunately, I can only think of four off the top of my head:
  • "... could care less....
  • "... chomping at the bit...."
  • "Columbia" (when "Colombia" was intended)
  • "compliment" (when "complement" was intended)

Archived