[Resolved] Yahoo now requires users fill out their new form to report?

;) Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked, answered, filed and all that jazz. When someone reports spam or abuse from a yahoo email account, Yahoo started Dec 2010 requiring person fill out their new form and submit....vs the old way by forwarding to abuser[at]yahoo.com. With that big change, when I see the spam cop message ready to be sent and we click "send," it appears spamcop mail request goes to abuse [at]yahoo.com....Are they also requiring spamcop to fill out their silly form each time or did they make exception? Just curious if/how my yahoo abuse mail is being attended to by them given their new rules...??

Thanks, B. Blood

Don: the user may have sent e-mail to abuse[at]yahoo.com and received a reply like this:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, 11 January, 2011 19:41

To: <snip>

Subject: RE: spam I Received with a yahoo.cn Reply-to Address (KMM121807863V92824L0KM)

Thank you for your email, but this address now only accepts messages in Abuse Reporting Format (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5965)

To report abuse manually (or to get help with security or abuse related issues), please go to Yahoo! Abuse:

http://abuse.yahoo.com

For questions about using Yahoo! services, please visit Yahoo Help:

http://help.yahoo.com

Thank you,

- Yahoo! Customer Care

Note: Please do not reply to this email as replies will not be answered.

<snip>

B Blood: is that what happened?

Don: the user may have sent e-mail to abuse[at]yahoo.com and received a reply like this:B Blood: is that what happened?
Happens to me now every time I try to report to Yahoo. They say they will only accept ARF, which is tantamount to saying that they don't want ordinary users to send anything to this address. Their web form is not terribly detailed, you can't add your own remarks to draw attention to what you are reporting.

-- rick

...Isn't Yahoo's requirement a violation of some RFC requiring providers to have an e-mail address to allow reporting of abuse?
Probably -- I think there's either an SMTP rule or RIR-IP-database rule that requires an abuse-role address. On the other hand, I guess if I were Yahoo I'd say we're perfectly happy to accept e-mail reports from you -- on our terms! If the abuse address is deliverable (it is) and is not /dev/null'ed (unknown) then I guess they have met the letter of the law.

Anyway, RFC-ignorant.org has been listing Yahoo for bad abuse[at] practices for almost six years now.

-- rick

• 1 month later...

Hmmmmmm..I stumbled on this thread while contemplating some issues with Yahoo and how best to deal with them. The auto response cited earlier in this thread is just one example of what I've received trying to bring stuff to Yahoo's attention, as well as the "It didn't originate in our servers" and similar excuses, together with the listings [at] rfc-ignorant. Frustrating as it can be at times, it's a relief to know that I'm not alone.

• 1 month later...

Archived