IPv6 Routing Support

SpamCopAdmin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SpamCopAdmin [at] Feb 10 2011, 07:37 AM

SpamCop plans to implement support for IPv6 headers later this year.

SpamCopAdmin [at] Oct 7 2012, 06:00 AM

The next SpamCop version supports IPv6 parsing.

This is beyond ridiculous!

Today:

Received: from WINXBEUS26.exchange.xchg ([172.23.130.69]) by

winxhubus05.exchange.xchg ([fe80::b4d2:7ab6:7111:440c%10]) with mapi; Thu, 7

Feb 2013 23:18:36 -0500

Unable to process message. IPv6 addresses are not supported.

How difficult it is to ignore ::1 and fe80::/64?

As I posted in

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=83739 on 12/27/12, I predict that there will be an attempt to upgrade in a couple of months (ie: mid-February), which will fail, followed by another attempt about 6 months later, which will also fail.

Given Spamcop's current track record, and the fact that reporting has been puking on IPv6 for no good reason for almost two years, I predict that Spamcop will have working IPv6 support no earlier than March 2014.

I see, I think, a little bit like "reverse psychology", you state your latest prediction in the hope of being proven wrong? I think a few words of encouragement directed at the long-suffering SC staff and the development engineers (in Elbonia, I suspect) might have been more to the point, but that's just me (and I confess I've been remarkably little affected by the whole IPv6 thing).

I see, I think, a little bit like "reverse psychology", you state your latest prediction in the hope of being proven wrong? I think a few words of encouragement directed at the long-suffering SC staff and the development engineers (in Elbonia, I suspect) might have been more to the point, but that's just me (and I confess I've been remarkably little affected by the whole IPv6 thing).

In early 2011, when the first IPv6 aware version of spamcop (which simply detected IPv6 headers) was inflicted upon us, I pointed out that the IPv6 detection was in the wrong place. Instead of checking for IPv6 anywhere in the headers, and immediately tossing the report if IPv6 is found anywhere in the headers, it would be just as easy (and would make a lot more sense) to add the IPv6 checking to the parser, and only toss the report if IPv6 is found prior to the point where we can no longer trust the headers, which would eliminate most of the problems that people have been complaining about.

Since then, we have had at least two attempted upgrades, both of which failed, and were immediately rolled back.

Given that the coders don't seem to be able to get IPv6 working, and have forced us to live with a badly broken (and IMHO easily fixed) system for almost two years, I find it extremely difficult to be optimistic that this "upgrade" will be any better.

Edited by techie

Given that the coders don't seem to be able to get IPv6 working, and have forced us to live with a badly broken (and IMHO easily fixed) system for almost two years, I find it extremely difficult to be optimistic that this "upgrade" will be any better.

Although I do agree that it's frustrating, I probably run into it once a month or so, making it hard to get excited about one way or another. When 99% of my reports go through without a hitch, I'm a happy camper.

Was the 2/12/2013 installation of IPv6 successful or are we back on the old version?

I do not know where to find version number.

I found the version number.

It is the IPv6 version SpamCop v 4.7.0.111 © 1992-2013 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved

Edited by hjp

Was the 2/12/2013 installation of IPv6 successful or are we back on the old version?

I do not know where to find version number.

I found the version number.

It is the IPv6 version SpamCop v 4.7.0.111 © 1992-2013 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved

The new version will show as SpamCop.net v4.7.0.111

So the upgrade was successful

This number is shown when you report spam at top of page

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5461978436za...a20af63d5b3fccz

So thanks to SC staff and the development engineers in Elbonia

Edited by petzl