Is SpamCop still relevant?

JMark

Disappointing that my veracity continues to be challenged by such terms "no way, no how" and by others who hide behind anonymous screen names yet now challenge my credentials.

I will take my concerns to another source and given the replies here, stop using Spamcop.

By the way, a 1-second Google produces several sources on how to "spoof" (Yes, "spoof") emails. Here's just one: http://www.hoaxmail.co.uk/

A definition since those who allege to know, do not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/email_spoofing.html

In conclusion, Spamcop is no longer relevant. I suggest reporting elsewhere, such as the FTC.

You have yourself a nice day kids.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just so you're aware, the CERT link you provided is no longer maintained, and if you read it, it describes phishing. The Wikipedia link cites no sources. Neither are authoritative documents, IMHO.

Occam's razor tells me that the problem is local to you--probably in your MUA. I read mail to deputies[at] daily, and no one else is reporting the same issues you are, and I don't see issues here in the newsgroup. I also don't see malformed mail such as you're reporting in our traps, either.

If you describe the path your mail takes to get to you and then the steps you take to report it, we can help you find where things are going pear-shaped.

I'd even offer to take a look at the data itself, but I'm not about to ask for your credentials.
yet now challenge my credentials.

my use of "credentials" = user name, password

your use = yet another self-defined bit of lunacy of misinterpreting "technical jargon" in your own self-defined field of expertise

By the way, a 1-second Google produces several sources on how to "spoof" (Yes, "spoof") emails.

Oh man, the infamous "I read it on the Internet, therefore it must be true!!!"

Disappointing that my veracity continues to be challenged ....

I will take my concerns to another source and given the replies here, stop using Spamcop.

In conclusion, Spamcop is no longer relevant. I suggest reporting elsewhere, such as the FTC.

Nothing to do with your veracity, it's the lack of facts that causes the same questions and statements to be repeated, and only you have the keys to work out the solution .. yet, you aren't even trying.

There isn't anything else out there like SpamCop.net. There are other folks and tools out there that do tackle other issues, but .... your attempts at providing these types of e-mails for their use will result in the same end results, specifically not usable at all with the missing data involved.

You have yourself a nice day kids.

Even one of my grandkids thought that line was funny.

Great advice!

A federal bureaucracy could do a lot to stop a worldwide phenomenon. :P

spam And virus's are big big business.

With the use of providers such as Gmail spam protection presently is as good as the best

Gmail offer 25 meg size email transfers and 8 gig of file space, presently this is free

In the unlikely event you do get spam you just click the "report spam" button and no one anywhere will get it as soon as you do

So while competitive and the de-tuning/political correctness of SpamCop blocklist, reporting only tries to inform ISP's of their security problem (Brazil for instance ignores reports often confirming your real address to even more Brazilian spammers).

Gmail won't tell them if they are blocked, nor when they are or if they are "released" from being blocked.

I suspect that shortly email will only be handled by the worlds authorized email providers where fees will have to be paid.

Gmail for a small price will also set-up your personalized domain name for email sending and receiving

My advice as always NEVER automatically accept a email account from your provider! Not come accross a single one that is honest or competant. In fact demand a discount for not having one

***off-topic observation begins***

It would appear Yahoo is an excellent way to send spam:

Agreed, some aspects of dealing with email coming through Yahoo are a pain. I have a couple of issues with Yahoo., which are probably better dealt with elsewhere.

<insert rant about forged sender credentials, envelope senders, forwarded emails, and mail loops>

***off-topic observation ends***

I suspect that shortly email will only be handled by the worlds authorized email providers where fees will have to be paid.

In a sense that is what is happening now, as those who truly handle large email volumes pay a pretty penny for the pipe to do so.

Gmail for a small price will also set-up your personalized domain name for email sending and receiving

They will also host the MX of a single domain for up to 50 users for free.

Archived