[Resolved] X-SpamCop-Disposition header

What does the header X-SpamCop-Disposition mean? Is this a header spamcop should be adding to every mail?

I've been noticing that some definitely spammy mails don't have this header and get left in my inbox instead of going to Held mail. here are two examples:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z4951814313zf...bf4db1a4e6411cz

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z4951814315zd...7a2edeb715eda8z

here's another example that does have the X-SpamCop-Disposition header and was sent to Held mail:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z4951814325z1...e25b88c7a5fd4cz

All three of these are in the koi8-r character set. I don't know if there is any connection, but I have seen other people posting about issues with spam identification for that char set.

For some reason, almost all of my spam is in a non-english character set and most of it is koi8-r. I'm sure the spammers don't care, but I have no chance of even understanding what they're trying to hawk.

Hi, Chris,

...Abstracting from the character set issue, here is what I would suggest:

• On a SpamCop Forum page, in the text entry box between the white button labeled "Search for -->" and the blue button labeled "GO," enter "X-SpamCop-Disposition" (including the quotes).
  • Click either of the aforementioned buttons.
  • Peruse the various links that are presented.
  • Return here to post as "replies" any follow-up questions you may have.

ok, maybe the root question didn't come out so clear… I'll try again.

How do I get more of these obvious spam messages to go directly into held mail?

Why is spam assassin only giving the first two examples a hit value of 0.1? I can recognize them as spam immediately. There are even some worse ones like this that only get a hit value of 0.0:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z4951938645z7...82fa28724e1367z

Does spam assassin just have very few rules for dealing with non-English spam?

Spamassassin has good rules for identifying spam, but it's not perfect by any means.

You shouldn't rely only on SpamAssassin. You should get into your "SpamCop Tools" option and make sure you have selected all of the blocking lists and other defenses, such as greylisting.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

How do I get more of these obvious spam messages to go directly into held mail?

Hard to say as only you know what filters, tags, lists, etc. you have selected in your account configuration.

All three of these are in the koi8-r character set. I don't know if there is any connection, but I have seen other people posting about issues with spam identification for that char set.

And did you look at any of them, try any of the suggestions? One Topic/Discussion that seemed to make a lot of folks happy is How to block/filter? (cyrillic spam), I don't want *any* email like the sample ... found using several different search terms, actually.

You shouldn't rely only on SpamAssassin. You should get into your "SpamCop Tools" option and make sure you have selected all of the blocking lists and other defenses, such as greylisting.
thanks. i turned on greylisting, and i think that's making a big difference.

the description for greylisting could use some improvement that explains for the non-technical user how confident they could be that false positives would only be delayed.

in block lists, i had only selected spam assassin limit 5 and the spamcop blocklist before. i added block russian and the composite blocking list, but it seems like the greylist is catching stuff first because very little is getting into held mail.

…so much other stuff not replied to.
now that i have greylisting enabled, i see only a handful of spam messages a day. before i had hundreds of spam messages a day. so now that i have very little spam to look at, there isn't much of a pattern to make a filter or to evaluate blacklists.

Archived