Mindspring/Earthlink/Netcom

For this message:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z368553816zd3...dbeddc625d136az

I get this warning:

"mail.mindspring.net flagged as trusted, but not configured

It appears you have not configured your own mailhost"

Mindspring is not one of my mailhosts and shouldn't be "flagged as trusted". The spam in question arrived at my server from maynard.mail.mindspring.net [207.69.200.243], yet the parser went past it and wanted to send reports to earthlink.net.

Is this a global glitch or something specific to my account?

For this message:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z368553816zd3...dbeddc625d136az

I get this warning:

"mail.mindspring.net flagged as trusted, but not configured

It appears you have not configured your own mailhost"

Mindspring is not one of my mailhosts and shouldn't be "flagged as trusted".  The spam in question arrived at my server from maynard.mail.mindspring.net [207.69.200.243], yet the parser went past it and wanted to send reports to earthlink.net.

Is this a global glitch or something specific to my account?

It's a global thing. I think it should stay this way until we get everyone onto the new system. Then we can start to pare back the number of hosts flagged as trusted. Other than the ugly warning (which can be very important in cases where the user *does* have a mindspring/whatever account), this still works, so I don't see it as a big problem.

You know you don't have a mindspring account, and so you can still report the spam.

-=Julian=-

You know you don't have a mindspring account, and so you can still report the spam.

Thanks.

But I'd have to send a manual report since the parser went beyond 207.69.200.243 and determined the source was 24.215.179.135. Couldn't this be one of those clever forgeries we're all worried about?

But I'd have to send a manual report since the parser went beyond 207.69.200.243 and determined the source was 24.215.179.135.  Couldn't this be one of those clever forgeries we're all worried about?

Well, no since this is a trusted system. We know mindspring servers don't lie/aren't infected/etc. Tagging 24.215.179.135 for the mis-dead is still an acceptable outcome (some might argue preferable).

-=Julian=-

In http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=867, Ellen said that a problem preventing confirmation emails from being sent had been fixed.

The problem seems to still be present. I just tried to register my ix.netcom.com address and received all 14 expected mx?.earthlink.net probes. I sent them back as attachments to one email, but have not received any confirmation.

My spamcop.net address appears when I visit http://mailsc.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=mhedit&authcode=xyz, but my ix.netcom.com address does not.

The problem seems to still be present.  I just tried to register my ix.netcom.com address and received all 14 expected mx?.earthlink.net probes.  I sent them back as attachments to one email, but have not received any confirmation.

That's probably just general slowness, which seems to be an epidemic lately in the mornings, when the system is most active.

We're working on the fix for that. Your email should get through soon though, and you should get replies.

-=Julian=-

The problem seems to still be present.  I just tried to register my ix.netcom.com address and received all 14 expected mx?.earthlink.net probes.  I sent them back as attachments to one email, but have not received any confirmation.

That's probably just general slowness, which seems to be an epidemic lately in the mornings, when the system is most active.

We're working on the fix for that. Your email should get through soon though, and you should get replies.

Still no joy after three hours. I'll post again when it comes through or after another three hours. :(

We're working on the fix for that.  Your email should get through soon though, and you should get replies.

Still no joy after three hours. I'll post again when it comes through or after another three hours. :(

Still nothing after six hours. I'll let it cook until about 3am PT. I'll have to drop out of mailhosts then so I can report my day's spam without blaming Earthlink for everything.

Still nothing after six hours.  I'll let it cook until about 3am PT.  I'll have to drop out of mailhosts then so I can report my day's spam without blaming Earthlink for everything.

I dropped my mailhosts at about 3am PT to allow me to report what had accumulated and then resubmitted at 3:39am PT. The Earthlink hosts appeared labled as Mindspring even though I'd named the submission Netcom.

Archived