[Resolved] Yahoo Mail blocked?

blahfeld

Wondering if someone could point me in the right direction / offer some help.

Our outgoing mail from Yahoo appears to be blocked. We have received bounces from multiple recipient addresses, each quoting this link: http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?98.138.91.234

Is there anything we can do to get around this? (Other than not use Yahoo Mail, of course). From what I've read there doesn't seem to be anything we can do, other than wait. As this is an account used for business, hanging around for (at least) 24 hours every time someone uses Yahoo to send spam isn't acceptable.

But I may be getting ahead of myself. Firstly, is there any way to confirm that it is actually Yahoo Mail being blocked that is the problem? Or could it be something else? I googled the IP address above and it looks like a Yahoo address, so... looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, to me.

Ta.

98.138.91.234 = nm12-vm5.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com, and many other Yahoo servers, are sending HUGE quantities of spam to our users and to our system. It has been going on for a long time now. I don't expect to see any change soon.

The servers will remain on our blocking list until the spam stops.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Is there anything we can do to get around this? (Other than not use Yahoo Mail, of course). From what I've read there doesn't seem to be anything we can do, other than wait. As this is an account used for business, hanging around for (at least) 24 hours every time someone uses Yahoo to send spam isn't acceptable.

Don has given you the bad news about Yahoo mail.

The good news is that Yahoo have (according to Senderbase) 5,507 email servers. Of these only a few will be on the block-list at any one time so it's not a case of "hanging around for (at least) 24 hours every time someone uses Yahoo to send spam" 99 times out of a hundred (or more) your mail will be sent through one of the servers that is not on then blocklist. You were just unlucky this time.

The wisdom of using a free, spammy, mailserver for important business mail is a whole other question.

So, I have a business email address, that is completely powered and supported by Yahoo Mail (it's essentially Yahoo Mail, but with my company domain name). But in the last couple weeks, I have had so many problems with emails bouncing back as blocked. I am not a technology-person at all, so I really don't understand what any of it means. But here's a sample of one that bounced back a couple days ago:

"Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<removed for privacy>:

Remote host said: 550 an RBL, see Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?98.138.91.74" [RCPT_TO]

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Admin Edit: unnecessary data removed

I am really getting ticked off because I can't communicate with customers, so I'm losing business because of this. Is it a SpamCop issue, a Yahoo issue, what is it? And more importantly, how to I fix it? It almost exclusively happens when it is an individual's domain instead of an internet or email provider (ie, it's joe[at]joesmith.com will be blocked, but joesmith[at]hotmail, gmail, aol, etc will go through fine). I never had this issue before, in 8+ years of using Yahoo, but in the last couple weeks it's become a HUGE problem. So any help would be appreciated.

Admin action taken: Topic merged into existing Discussion on the same subject matter. PM sent to advise.

So, I have a business email address, that is completely powered and supported by Yahoo Mail (it's essentially Yahoo Mail, but with my company domain name).

Then may I respectfully suggest that you read the preceding thread, which contains all the information you need.

The good news is that Yahoo have (according to Senderbase) 5,507 email servers. Of these only a few will be on the block-list at any one time... You were just unlucky this time.

OK, thanks.

The wisdom of using a free, spammy, mailserver for important business mail is a whole other question.

Indeed! Something I hope to rectify ASAP ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived