spam from/for spamcop?

salamandir

i know, it's not likely, but i received the following message, which spamcop told me is a forgery, and i just wanted to make sure:

-----

To: undisclosed-recipients:

Date: 110526 08:43 pm

Dear spamcop.net account user,

This message is from your webmail internet service provider and

maintenance of your e-mail account center for all users. We are

improving our e-mail database due to spam activity identified in our

email system. Therefore, to avoid all spammed accounts identified we are

creating space for new ones.

You are required to verify your email account via email confirming your

identification. This will prevent your account from being closed during

this exercise.

To confirm your identity of email, provide the following information

requested below:

* Username: (...........) (required)

* Password: (...........) (required)

* Date Of Birth: (...........) (Optional)

http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/login.php

-----

(the report is here)

needless to say, i didn't give the information requested, because of the fact that spamcop told me it was a forgery. i'm guessing it was bogus, but it would be nice to get confirmation of my suspicions.

needless to say, i didn't give the information requested, because of the fact that spamcop told me it was a forgery. i'm guessing it was bogus, but it would be nice to get confirmation of my suspicions.

Well, even if the following message was not already posted on the spamcop.net reporting site:

Warning:

There has been a large increase in phishing attempts with all webmail services, including SpamCop.

We remind all users that we will never send out a request for personal or account information, will never send an email with a zip or executable attachment or send you a link to a zip or executable file.

Never Click On These Links or Attachments

... the first and third sentences in the phishing message you received are not even logical, and don't make any sense.

By the way, the report link you gave requires a user name and password. Do you have the Tracking URL instead?

i know, it's not likely, but i received the following message, which spamcop told me is a forgery, and i just wanted to make sure:

[sNIP]

It's a Phishing attempt to steal your SpamCop account

...the report URI i gave was the tracking URI: http://mailsc.spamcop.net/sc?id=z501708515...c85b371de0d4abz
Very nearly - the tracking URL is the same but with mailsc changed to www - but not everyone knows to do that.

The tracking URL is not the URI shown in the browser address window when the parser result is displayed, it is in the line near the top of the parser result like

Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5017085156z7...c85b371de0d4abz

Very nearly - the tracking URL is the same but with mailsc changed to www - but not everyone knows to do that.

The tracking URL is not the URI shown in the browser address window when the parser result is displayed, it is in the line near the top of the parser result...

i would have sworn that i copied the line near the top of the parser result - not the URI in the address field - and pasted it into my reply - twice - but now that i know that little detail, i will remember to change it (if it's not already changed) for future reference... :)

Archived