Mailhost menu problem, I think.

SpamCop quit sending me e-mail messages (again) several days ago. I went to the "Help" page and was informed of the new system. So I followed the instructions, entered my e-mail address and provider name, received an e-mail from SpamCop and followed the link. There, I entered the entire e-mail (copied from "Show source" view) and was told:

Please re-visit the mailhost menu and make sure you have registered mailhosts for all your email addresses. If you fail to register them all, it may result in spam reports against your own service providers.

Now, the drop-down menus on the "mailhost menu" page contain dozens of listings. I've no idea what they all mean; nor do I know whether or not I've successfully completed the task of getting SpamCop to work again. The quote, above, does not fill me with confidence!

I've only one e-mail address and only one e-mail provider. What am I doing wrong, if anything? Help! Your advice and/or assistance in this bamboozling matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:blush:

=^..^=

SpamCop quit sending me e-mail messages (again) several days ago.
I suspect the reason you're not getting our responses when you send in spam is because Comcast has started filtering your outgoing mail and is deleting your submissions rather than sending them. No spam has arrived here for reporting since the 6th of July.

Try two things.

1. Compose a short test email and send it to your 'submit' address. That should generate an error email from SpamCop. That will tell us if your email will get here at all.

2. Send in some spam, and in addition to addressing it to your 'submit' address,

send it to: missed-spam[at]comcast.net My records tell me that mail to that address will bypass their filters, which means SpamCop will get the email, too.

I just sent a test spam to your account. It has already arrived and been posted to your account for reporting. Please let me know if you get our automatic response.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Thank you very much, Don, for your help! I sent a test message to the SpamCop "submit" address and did in fact receive an error message from SpamCop in return. I also received an automatic response from SpamCop regarding the test spam you sent to my account.

When next I receive actual spam, it'll be sent on to the "missed-spam" address you provided in addition to the "submit" address: I've added the "missed-spam" address to the list of spam-reporting services in my MailWasherPro 2001 utility, where it joins the "submit" address (which has been there all along).

I'm amazed to learn my Internet service provider may be filtering my outgoing messages to SpamCop. It makes one wonder what else they're filtering. In the event, thanks again for your timely assistance in this matter!

:D

=^..^=

...I'm amazed to learn my Internet service provider may be filtering my outgoing messages to SpamCop. It makes one wonder what else they're filtering. ...
See http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2782

My provider blocks forwarded spam too - only they use IronPort filters these days (very effective they are too, but they still let some in that they don't let out last time I checked - they allow me to turn the inwards filter off at least, most don't). Filtering at source is the only feasible way to reduce the spam flow. Unfortunately most providers that do this are not yet smart/committed enough to whitelist SC submission addresses. Even more unfortunately even more providers don't do a blessed thing.

That's interesting, Farelf. Thanks for the link to those other horror stories. With Comcast, at any rate, I wish they'd be as keen on filtering incoming spam as they are on filtering legitimate customers' outgoing messages. But then, the kickbacks would stop.

<_<

=^..^=

That's interesting, Farelf. Thanks for the link to those other horror stories. With Comcast, at any rate, I wish they'd be as keen on filtering incoming spam as they are on filtering legitimate customers' outgoing messages. But then, the kickbacks would stop.

Why one should never automatically take a email account from an ISP

In most cases Gmail is superior. 25 meg file send/receive over 7 gig file space very good spam filter.

You can then leave your ISP for the best deal without losing their email address

Archived