Stopped or Filtered

scarecro

My daily spam received has dropped from 20-30 per day to 0-5 per day since I began reporting about two weeks ago. I am just curious as to whether Spamcop reporting stops the spammer or merely filters the spam from going to my account. Thanks in advance for any explanation or clarification.

Hi, scarecro,

...The short answer is that SpamCop, in and of itself, does neither.

...Please have a look at the SpamCop FAQ (there are two links near the top left of nearly any SpamCop Forum page) and/ or the SPAMCOPWIKI (aka SC Wiki, to which there are links near the top center-right of nearly any SpamCop Forum page). Let us know after reviewing these if you have follow-up questions or can't find answers.

...Items that may be especially helpful:

• SpamCop FAQ
    • How does SpamCop reporting work?
    • Why did my spam load increase after I started Reporting?
    • What is this SpamCop Mail Service? and How I use my SpamCop E-Mail account examples
    • What is on the list?

[*]SpamCop Wiki

• SpamCopParsing
    • SpamCopReporting
    • SpamCopBlockingList
    • SpamCopEmailAccount

The straight answer to your question is that a spam reporting account with us is just that... a reporting account. When you use our service to report your spam, it would be nice to think that our reports will have a direct effect on your spam, but that is unlikely. Certainly possible, but not likely.

The fight against spam is a long term battle. We get tons of open proxies, open relays, and exploited servers shut down, and we put a lot of spammers out of business, especially novices, but it's very difficult to stop the specific spammers sending *you* the spam.

And, since your email does not pass through our system, there is no possibility that we can filter the spam out for you.

Unless you have signed up for a filtering and email services account with our sister company. I'm pretty sure you would know if you did that.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Thank you to "turetzsr" and especially to Mr. D'Minion for your thoughtful and courteous replies. The latter explanation was exactly what I was looking for.

I have received over 600 spam messages each in June, July and August and started Spamcop reporting on August 21st. spam messages kept coming normally with 21 messages received last Friday the 26th. Then the counts dropped drastically, on Sat 3, Sun 4, Mon 3, Tue 6, Wed 4, Thu 1, and Fri (today) 0. I can only come to one conclusion that the Spamcop reporting has had a significant and direct impact on my spam receipts, for which I am extremely grateful.

I have "fueled" my account and actually look forward to receiving what few spam messages I now get so that I can quickly report them to Spamcop.

Thank you Spamcop from a very happy significantly-reduced-spam recipient! :D:D:D

Hi, scarecro,

<snip>

I have received over 600 spam messages each in June, July and August and started Spamcop reporting on August 21st. spam messages kept coming normally with 21 messages received last Friday the 26th. Then the counts dropped drastically, on Sat 3, Sun 4, Mon 3, Tue 6, Wed 4, Thu 1, and Fri (today) 0. I can only come to one conclusion that the Spamcop reporting has had a significant and direct impact

<snip>

...Unfortunately, I believe that is an incorrect conclusion, as I have reported almost no spam (almost all of mine is pharma spam trapped by another service) during that same period and mine has fallen drastically in the last two or three weeks, as well.

I noticed a dramatic drop in spam myself (mostly paharma of Russian/Ukrainian origin) and the occasional phishers/Nigerian scams but on the same token there is a trend to increase attacks with malware/viruses and attampts to hijack my machines that is disturbing, fortunately the majority are defangued and filtered by another service my provider uses (Postini)....

The statistic page does show a downward trend starting in April...

Archived