Yahoo DNS abuse

couttsj

Our DNS server has been under constant bombardment from internal Yahoo DNS servers:

--------------------------------------

Total requests 73341

67.195.128.48-51 7,133

68.142.209.135-138 3,533

68.142.209.143-146 19,460

68.142.209.151-158 6,985

72.30.192.164-171 10,571

74.6.109.17-20 7,366

74.6.109.24-27 6,232

98.139.193.152-159 10,146

------------------ -------

2011/09/09 Total 71,426 - 97%

These requests are predominately for type 99 (SPF) records, but our server does not support them. We do offer a TXT record for the purpose of supporting SPF (v=spf1 -all), but Yahoo appears to not have the ability to utilize that record. It appears that Yahoo is using SPF to delay internal mail delivery, and then eventually send a rejection email to the supposed sender. We do not offer any email services, but we do have a pseudo SMTP server running that rejects all incoming email with a 550 error. Examining the log file for the day above shows 88 rejection messages being sent from various Yahoo email servers to what are obviously random generated email addresses (eg. "RCPT TO:<yxqtdoeihiui[at]yellowhead.com>").

I have pleaded with Yahoo to address this issue, but so far the only response has been auto-generated and nothing has been done to solve the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get a real person at Yahoo to at least acknowledge that the problem exists?

J.A. Coutts

Our DNS server has been under constant bombardment from internal Yahoo DNS servers:

I have pleaded with Yahoo to address this issue, but so far the only response has been auto-generated and nothing has been done to solve the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get a real person at Yahoo to at least acknowledge that the problem exists?

J.A. Coutts

You might try their web form?

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/abuse.html

Contact Web page

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yaho...ctus/index.html

*********** REPLY SEPARATER ************

Been there, done that. Even got a problem number, all to no avail. All I get is automated responses made to look like they are from a real person, but having nothing to do with the actual problem.

J.A. Coutts

*********** REPLY SEPARATER ************

Been there, done that. Even got a problem number, all to no avail. All I get is automated responses made to look like they are from a real person, but having nothing to do with the actual problem.

J.A. Coutts

That's exactly the sort of thing that prompted me to set up my own email server in preference to using the free Yahoo accounts I used to use. I am one of the many who have had cause to be grumpy with the way Yahoo deals with reports of problems, and could do a rant at this point but will skip it in the interests of not hijacking this thread any more than I have.

Good luck.

...Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get a real person at Yahoo to at least acknowledge that the problem exists?...
Hi John,

I suppose you could argue it is a technical problem - have you tried their OrgTechEmail:/RTechEmail: address per ARIN, jluster[at]yahoo-inc.com ? Really, the OrgAbuseEmail:/RAbuseEmail: address, network-abuse[at]cc.yahoo-inc.com should be handling it, but I guess that's one of the sources of the auto-responses with no follow-up that you mention.

Steve

Hi John,

I suppose you could argue it is a technical problem - have you tried their OrgTechEmail:/RTechEmail: address per ARIN, jluster[at]yahoo-inc.com ? Really, the OrgAbuseEmail:/RAbuseEmail: address, network-abuse[at]cc.yahoo-inc.com should be handling it, but I guess that's one of the sources of the auto-responses with no follow-up that you mention.

Steve

Using that address simply gets an automated response directing you to the Web site abuse address. I have no idea what is going on, but the bombardment suddenly quit at 09:21 this AM.

J.A. Coutts

Ah, a result then, maybe as a result of your entreaties, perhaps other complaints too. One can wish ... be nice if Yahoo placed a premium on the niceties though, very "New York"/brusque at present, it seems. Marking "resolved" anyway.

Ah, a result then, maybe as a result of your entreaties, perhaps other complaints too. One can wish ... be nice if Yahoo placed a premium on the niceties though, very "New York"/brusque at present, it seems. Marking "resolved" anyway.

I only wish it was resolved. The bombardment started up again at 03:25 this morning. The zero traffic from Yahoo for over 18 hours may have been because it was out of service. Absolute zero DNS traffic from yahoo is highly unusual.

J.A. Coutts

I only wish it was resolved. The bombardment started up again at 03:25 this morning. The zero traffic from Yahoo for over 18 hours may have been because it was out of service. Absolute zero DNS traffic from yahoo is highly unusual.
Oh yeah, the did have an "outage". Sacking their CEO hasn't helped anything yet. Oh well, removing the "Resolved", further suggestions from the readership on getting Yahoo's attention or otherwise resolving the problem needed.

• 2 months later...

Archived