"SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email" for email I didn't send

TomYoung

Hi all:

For the last month or so I've received the occasional "SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email" messages. I've used SpamCop long enough to know I can't "Forward" spam emails to SpamCop when using Outlook Express (and, I assume, its successor Microsoft Mail) so I've generally dismissed these as an error on my part, using "Forward" instead of "Forward as an attachment."

However, for a couple of weeks now I've been spammed pretty hard at my comcast.net account so I've been sending those spam emails that dodge the comcast.net spam filters along to SpamCop, making sure I'm sending the spam as an attachment. I've also looked more closely at these SpamCop autoresponder messages and what I'm seeing is spam being forwarded (not attached) to SpamCop, that clearly contains spam in the body of the message, that clearly is spam that's coming from the current spammer, but is not spam I can identify as anything I've received nor sent to SpamCop.

For example, today I received a SpamCop AutoResponder message that contained the "SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email" notice, identified as being sent by me Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:24:22. Looking in my Sent Items folder I can identify exactly one email that I sent to SpamCop with 2 pieces of spam that might have resulted in this error being reported. However, the email used the "forward as attachment" method, neither forwarded spam message matches the spam that I can see inside the SpamCop bounce and the spam I see is not any piece of spam I received per my review of the deleted items folder.

It's as if the Comcast email filter is somehow coordinating with SpamCop and sending this spam along before I get it at my computer.

Tom Young

Hi, Tom,

...Interesting, not one I've heard of before! I'd suggest you go directly to SpamCop with this one -- forward an example to the Deputies at deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net with a brief note explaining that you believe you did not submit the spam. It sounds as if someone may have hijacked your SpamCop reporting account but only the Deputies will be able to determine whether that's the case.

Your 'submit' address has gotten into the wild somehow and spammers are sending their junk directly to it.

It is easily fixed by giving you a new 'submit' address.

If you will EMAIL your login username to me, I will do that for you.

Email to me at: service[at]spamcop.net

Please DO NOT post your username in this forum.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Archived